PDA

View Full Version : Broadband query

rubberduck
17th Mar 2004, 10:03
currently using PIPEX and no problems with their service however how can I get cheaper phone calls if I have just the single BT line?
also how can I avoid paying to receive my emails from previous ISP without changing my email address?

PPRuNe Pop
17th Mar 2004, 10:26
Ummmm!? Not sure about that. But I am sure that I have VERY cheap calls via NTL. BT MUST be expensive - they don't seem to know any other way of giving you a - 'service.' :rolleyes:

I have Pipex broadband too. Great service and reliability.

expedite_climb
17th Mar 2004, 10:47
Rubberduck - do you mean still get your old emails without having to dialup via them ?

rubberduck
17th Mar 2004, 12:49
pop - NTL can offer me cheaper calls as well but Pipex say I can,t use ,for instance, a smart dialler !! is this true? how do you setup ypur pipex/ntl service ?

DeepC
17th Mar 2004, 14:03
I use to pay onetel for dial-up access and therefore had my main email address with them. When I got Pipex I just put Onetel onto 1p a minute (Never using it as I can access the emails via outlook using my ADSL Pipex connection).

Still get my old email. Pay them nothing. Don't know how long they will put up with it.

I originally paid for Globalnet before the advent of Freeserve etc. I cancelled my account with them but continued to be able to access my email and all of their services for a further year and a half. Though I rarely did unless out of interest to see if they had shut me out yet.

Hope this may be of some help.

DeepC

onehunga
18th Mar 2004, 15:51
I use onetel for overseas calls, put up with BT for local but mainly use my mobile anyway so don't have many. Just dial a 1877 access code before the full number and you are taken out of the BT charging loop and onto onetel. NZ is 6p a min 24/7 from memory, US about 3p or so. Ireland around the same.

Although with f2s for broadband my old onetel email address is working fine after a year and downloads into Outlook. I go into it every few days via their webmail when not at home - "mailzone", so maybe that has something to do with it.

Think you can get slightly cheaper overseas calls than onetel but not much cheaper. Used to see them advertised all the time when I used the tube a lot.