PDA

View Full Version : PPRuNe and the vanishing cookies

bagpuss lives
16th Mar 2004, 20:05
Hullo :)

I'm reasonably PC proficient but I'm currently encountering a problem that's beaten me, and it concerns our very own PPRuNe.

Bascially IE6 keeps forgetting my cookied login details here. I've ensured all is correct in my user preferences on the site, I've checked and re-checked the IE6 cookie handling dialogues in Internet Options, deleted all of my cookies and so on but still, when I log into here and set a new cookie it only last until the next reboot.

Once the computer starts up again I have to go through the whole process of re-setting the PPRuNe cookie.

I use Win XP Professional with SP1, a fully updated Internet Explorer 6 and a nice juicy 1MB broadband connection :)

Could any kind soul please help me?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Mar 2004, 20:23
niteflite01,

As Microsoft would say:

This behavior is by design.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. It is for added security for people that access PPRuNe from Public Places. :ok:

bagpuss lives
16th Mar 2004, 20:31
Ah right....it always used to work but perhaps it's got something to do with the server move and a change in site config?

Anyhow, thanks for that :ok:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Mar 2004, 21:32
niteflite01,

It was something they changed several weeks ago. If you check PPRuNe every day, you would not notice the change. If you check PPRuNe every couple of days, you would have noticed it immediately.

Check out this thread for more details:

PPRuNe Login Defaults Changed? (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116430)

Take Care,

Richard

bagpuss lives
16th Mar 2004, 21:35
Super - thanks very much :ok:

I think the moral of the tale is - use PPRuNe more :)

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Mar 2004, 22:38
niteflite01,

That's the answer! :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

Keef
17th Mar 2004, 00:18
I've got the opposite problem!

Way back in the dark ages, I had a PPRuNe ID whose password was in the cookie, and which I'd forgotten. The inevitable crash happened, and the cookie disappeared.

After a day of trying to remember the password, i gave up and created the new ID "Keef". That was about three years ago.

A couple of weeks ago, I had my "User" delete disaster, which took three days to get the PC back to normal.

Now, it remembers that old, distant ID too! Every time I restart Mozilla, I have to decide which ID to log on. Previously, the system didn't seem to log me out from one month to the next.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Mar 2004, 00:26
Keef,

If you have not changed your email address since you registered the first account, you could always click on Forgot Password and PPRuNe will send you the password to that account too. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

Keef
18th Mar 2004, 00:22
Richard - sadly, I've gone through quite a few e-mail addresses. Had to kill some due to spam, and the most recent one because a spammer used it as his "from" address.

I'm resigned to being Keef, and I know the password now!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
18th Mar 2004, 01:04
Keef,

Lets hope we see the Spammer that used your email, in the news very soon. :ok:

US net providers pursue spammers (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3499230.stm)

Take Care,

Richard