PDA

View Full Version : X-ray machines.

ad astra
16th Mar 2004, 15:11
Hi there,
In the last few months I have accidentally carried my large Swiss army knife onto a flight in my hand luggage; both times I hadn't actually realised what I'd done until I was unpacking (first time it was in my washing bag, and the second time I checked the bag through as hand luggage instead of putting it in the hold). I was flying from Birmingham airport both times, and on reflection was surprised that the knife was missed as they have a large see through container full of confiscated nail clippers and the like which are all quite small. So what happened, aside from the operator just not noticing?

Flight Level Zero
16th Mar 2004, 15:21
Southampton and Guernsey don't pick up on Swiss Army knives when they are in your trouser pockets.

Aerofoil
16th Mar 2004, 15:28
Well done Flight Level Zero

Give the info to the terrorists on a plate!!

PAXboy
16th Mar 2004, 17:55
At the risk of starting a Jet Blast thread in here ... the terrorists are teaching us new tricks. If >IF< they were responsible for Madrid, then we don't stand a chance. I also repeat my assertion that the UK's attack will not be through aviation.

bealine
16th Mar 2004, 19:50
Unfortunately, there is absolutely no such thing as "infallible" security! Read the famous stories of World War Two heroism - nearly all were carried out using daring, subterfuge and courage!

I will repeat things I've said elsewhere on Pprune and also on Flyertalk:

1. PaxBoy is right - the ordinary mortal doesn't stand a chance against determined terrorists. However, the USA, UK and allies have invested, and are continuing to invest, heavily on intelligence networks and we must put hope in these.

2. Don't let your baggage out of your sight for an instant - whether you're on a bus, a train or at the airport. Be alert at any public place for unattended baggage and don't hesitate to report anything, or anyone, you feel uneasy about!

3. Don't allow your life to change dramatically! To cancel trips or alter travel plans means the terrorist has won, for disruption and chaos is exactly what they want!

4. Don't blame race or religion! The Koran (or Qu'ran) teaches its followers to lead a peaceful life, tolerant of others' viewpoints and beliefs! The fact that some people have chosen to link the Moslem (or Muslim) faith with political ideology and hatred of the USA is not a reflection on all Moslems (In the same way as the IRA associated themselves with Catholicism!)

ad astra
17th Mar 2004, 00:06
Some interesting replies.
I was wondering if there would be any point in me telling anyone at BHX what had happened?
Incidentally I see this post was moved - where did I put it originally? Sorry if it was somewhere stupid.

bealine
18th Mar 2004, 10:35
A friendly word, or letter, to the Security manager at BHX would probably be appreciated!

From his/her point of view, it's better coming from you than to see pictures of BHX airport splashed all over the tabloids a few weeks later as a journalist finds "yet another loophole!"

:ok: