PDA

View Full Version : Peer to Peer software sharing

Wee Weasley Welshman
16th Mar 2004, 12:24
Dear all,

A great deal of Wannabe training material is now produced in digital formats. These can often be 'shared' by means of the various Peer-to-Peer networks in existence.

Such 'sharing' nearly always involves breaching copyright.

Because of this legal fact and also because of the moral argument PPRuNe does not condone such behaviour. Followingly we do not allow discussion of P2P matters on the Wannabes forums.

I can readily understand the motivations to obtain valuable training materials at no cost. I can understand the often altruistic nature of those offering to share such materials. It went on for years with people swapping paper notes from different schools and colleges.

In the not so distant past I well remember myself swapping a carrier bag of used PPSC notes for a carrier bag full of used OATS notes.

However, P2P has the scope to totally undermine what is not a very big industry.

Therefore a policy of zero tolerance is in place.

Many thanks,

Global Pilot
17th Mar 2004, 11:18
Good to see this monitoring of posts on this site. After paying approx Euro 1000 for IFR Flightstar (for which Jeppesen deserve every cent) it is right that Jepps(and my own) investment in this software is being protected.

TSandPSintheGREEN
31st Mar 2004, 20:09
Currently just starting the groundschool and it did seem a sensible option to "borrow" CD-Rom and notes off someone, and then just pay for the crammers. However, the school neatly forestalled this by saying the CAA need you to take their material in one package for it to be a recognised course... Also the material is changing all the time, so fair point : Large cheque winging its way!