PDA

View Full Version : C5 Galaxy emergency landing at Santiago Spain

DontSink
13th Oct 2001, 22:40
This morning I was flying in Madrid 135,95 sector between Lotee and Demos, when a Rich callsign aircraft, I believe it is the USAF, made an emergency call due to a nose wheel well fire indication. The aircraft diverted to Santiago de Compostela in Northwest Spain. :(
The aircraft was a Galaxy C5 :eek:

Does anyone knows details about it? Is it still in LEST?

:confused: Doesn`t the USAF :confused: have enroute alternates and airport analisys... I couldn`t believe what I was hearing, the other aircraft on the frequency had to provide the crew with the LOC frequency, field elevation, runway lenght, etc... That`s not for the USAF :p

Cheers!!!

BEagle
14th Oct 2001, 11:58
Uncle Spam's finest are probably only allowed to make instrument approaches which have US DoD approval. If the aerodrome to which they are intending to divert does not appear in their US DoD TERPS booklets, then it may as well be on Mars! Possibly there might be other FLIPs on board - but why bother hunting through them if you can quickly ask someone else?

IcePack
14th Oct 2001, 21:19
Haven't you noticed Rich never seem to know where they are going.

PPRuNe Radar
14th Oct 2001, 23:50
Rich ?? Not spoken to them in a long time, think they went bust. Spoken to Reach a few times recently though ;)

Idunno
15th Oct 2001, 00:11
As a matter of interest, how much en-route diversion analysis do your companies do? Are you provided with some sort of 'en-route diversion manual' or 'briefing sheet' covering everything along the route?
I'm not talking ETOPs type stuff here, just your typical UK/Med runs.

Bally Heck
15th Oct 2001, 02:53
Idunno.

I think most UK charter operators, (I fly for one) carry approach plates and performance data for pretty well every "suitable" airport in Europe.

Also NOTAMS are supplied with the briefing for all likely diversion airfields on the route.

(Edited to say, I was wondering if this was the same C5 that staged through Glasgow on Thursday on it's way to a destination in Spain. The crew and about a hundred USAF personnel were at the Glasgow Hilton sampling some Scottish hospitality and free fish and chips)

[ 14 October 2001: Message edited by: Bally Heck ]

DHC Twin
18th Oct 2001, 08:46
Walked right through one at Mildenhall about 20 years ago.Even those days, a couple of years later,this was a thing of the past!Machine and a half.

BenThere
18th Oct 2001, 10:42
It's Reach, not Rich. They only carry DOD approach plates which aren't all inclusive. Santiago is the first continental airport available on the southern part of the North Atlantic routes. They had to choose between Lajes and Santiago. We in the civilian world would call Santiago an ETP destination.