PDA

View Full Version : Twin or Single?????

Tarco
16th Mar 2004, 10:00
Just wondering what most people are doing there CPL flight training and testing in? I need to make the decision now and don't know which one will help me get a job. Cost is not that different (per hour). Got conflicting stories, would be good to hear the views from someone who actually does the hiring of low time pilots. :confused:

Tinstaafl
16th Mar 2004, 11:06
Odds are that your first flying job will be in a single. If you go the bush/charter or meatbombing routes then time in one of the larger Cessna singles (C182,206.210) will be beneficial.

scrambler
16th Mar 2004, 12:58
Can't agree more with the Cessna types Hard to get into a C206 or C210 for training but would be worth it. A C182 would also be of a help.

Can't understand the schools who recommend a mooney for the training, not a popular choice in most charter ops.

Sure do some twin time, but some solo after the endorsement to build up command time before the CPL.

In my limited experience it would be far more desireable to have someone with the cessna experience when you are expected to fly a heavy 206/210/207 out of a short strip on a hot day.

DirectAnywhere
16th Mar 2004, 20:55
I reckon do most of your command time in the twin, with perhaps one command nav in the single prior to your test, and your dual training in the single. That way you're only paying for your own command multi, not someone else's!! A heavy single ie. 182/206 is better if you can get it.

Ang737
16th Mar 2004, 21:32
Totally agree with DA. If your going to do the CPL in a twin and the cost isn't that much different then go the twin. If your looking at instructing down the track you will need 50 ME Command to get you ME training approval.

Sure some heavy cessna time is great but I would be building the twin time if I was you and could afford it.

Ang ;)

Tarco
17th Mar 2004, 11:11
Thanks for the tips, can't get cessna time up my choice of aircraft are Bonanza (single) or travel air (twin). Are there alot of Bonanza's around used for commercial operations up north?? (which is what im wanting to do) Sounds like I should be in a 206.
Ive had the train of thought that if i roll up somewhere with twin time, one would expect that I would be able to handle the work load of a single fairly well Vs someone rolling up with a single time, even though the single pilot may still be very good.

DirectAnywhere
17th Mar 2004, 20:46
You should both be able to handle the work load equally well as a SE pilot simply because you've both got the endorsement and the licence. The fact you've got 20 hrs ME PIC won't necessarily make you any better than the next bloke or blokette - even if they've never flown a twin. Inevitably employers will look at a lot of things before they even open your logbook...

It's good to have the multi time but a CPL is still a CPL whether it's done in a twin or a single. The differences between individual pilots as a result of their attitude will always be greater than those generated by flying different aeroplanes.

Capt Fathom
18th Mar 2004, 12:18
you will need 50 ME Command to get you ME training approval.
Now you're freaking me out....you have got to be joking!

Tinstaafl
18th Mar 2004, 13:25
That's not quite the full story. The person would also need to:

* Hold an instructor rating
* Pass a flight test to gain multi-engine training approval

NB: The 50 hrs command may include up to 25 hrs ICUS

Nipper
18th Mar 2004, 21:40
As a testing officer and looking at it from the testing point of view you would be better off in a single. The reason being is that the CPL flight test usually takes most of your concentration and ability.

Now add in the complexity of single engine ops in a twin with possibility of an in-flight single engine diversion and this may push you in to the fail category. Even worse if CASA picks your flight test to do themselves.

Fly the twin if you can afford it but I would do the flight test in a single. I agree with the comments on the Cessna 200 series, not many other types used in the North.

Pilot steve
21st Mar 2004, 05:37
G'day

I am posed with the same question right now, ! am 17 have completed my PPL and on the way to CPL. The consideration now is do i fork out the $3k ( couple of thousand burgers flipped at McD's worth) for a twin endorsement or do i use what little money i have to go towards hour building?

If i do go for the twin endorsement i run the risk of completeing it but then not haveing enough money to remain proficient at $300 a pop. I would be looking at doing the test in the single for the reasons others have already identified, but would hope to build up about 20 ME command pre-CPL.

What aircraft would be the best for initial twin endorsement / 20hrs ME command building. I have the option of travelair / seminole or possibly 310. What aircraft are primarily used up North? the plan right now is post CPL look for a charter job up north that will hopefully have progression to ME charter. If there are any CP's of companies who consider low time pilots for charter, how do you view ME time? and what aircraft would you like to see it in?

Your time is much apreciated and i eagerly awit your replies,

Pilot steve

NAMPS
22nd Mar 2004, 06:04
What aircraft would be the best for initial twin endorsement / 20hrs ME command building.

If you can get your hands on a 310, then grab it. Barons are good. Aztecs aren't bad either.

I did mine in a Duchess but found that they are too "light" for commercial ops - you won't find anyone using them up north.