PDA

View Full Version : javascript runtime errors

BOAC
16th Mar 2004, 08:22
Win2000 SP4/IE6 - just started getting a rash of these on a lot of web-pages. All permissions enabled. Is this the threatened MS attack on Javascript?

Any ideas?

PS Richard - don't think the messages are for my wife:O

TR4A
16th Mar 2004, 17:08
Go to Tools
Internet Options | Advanced
Under "Browsing"
Select: "Disable script debugging"
Uncheck: "Display a notification about every script error", click Apply\Ok

BOAC
16th Mar 2004, 17:18
TR4 - thanks for reply. Already checked that - should have said! I have now 'enabled' it and 'disabled' it following shut down so we will see.

slj
16th Mar 2004, 18:45
BOAC

I had similar probelms. I switched to Sun Java for the following reasons. Works perfectly (Can't recall where i got the original information from)

Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine (the software on PCs that actually runs Java applets) is

- Buggy,
- Proprietary, and
- Not long for this world.

By way of comparison, Sun's version of Java is

- Newer,
- Safer (because it has a MUCH better sandbox), and
- Official (because, after all, Sun invented Java.)

Microsoft will stop supporting their JVM version on September 30th, 2004. And, because of Microsoft's recent court settlement with Sun, there will be no replacement.

Solution is to go to

http://www.java.com/en/index.jsp

and get Sun's official Java software. The process couldn't be
simpler: Just click on the "Get It Now" button and Sun automatically downloads and installs the official Java software your computer. And Sun's free Java software is available for the PC, Mac, Linux, and (obviously) Sun Solaris.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Mar 2004, 20:16
BOAC,

Do not think those are for your wife. ;)

slj has the right approach. I would try running Sun's Java to see if it corrects the problem.

Take Care,

Richard

BOAC
16th Mar 2004, 21:26
TR4 - whatever changed on my system has now been kicked back into shape by cycling that. Thanks.

Naples - I have downloaded that and will look for the light switch so I can see what I am doing!!:p

Wife says 'hi!' and STOP ringing.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Mar 2004, 21:34
BOAC,

So no more calling up and pretending to be the Coast Guard then. :(

Richard

BOAC
16th Mar 2004, 21:55
Just lookout:cool:

Evo
17th Mar 2004, 06:16
I'd also recommend Sun's JRE, but because jview (Microsoft's Java runtime) is supposedly 'standard' on Windows you will occasionally find things that will not run on anything else. This is particularly true of javascript, which was never a proper standard anyway, but also affects Java applets which decide that they have to restrict themselves to a certain level of JRE (especially online banking applications and the like). Kind of defeats the idea of Java, but there you go - and you will seldom, if ever, get a useful error message to help you work out why the blasted thing isn't working. Alliance & Leicester obviously believe that "java.io.ObjectStreamException" is a good way of telling users that they are running a Sun JRE when they should use jview... :rolleyes: :mad:

In general, however, Sun's JRE is far, far better than jview. The MS version hasn't been updated for years - it's still Java 1.1.4 IIRC, which Sun took out of service sometime last century :). Sun are shipping 1.4.2, with 1.5 on the horizon.