PDA

View Full Version : C210 time, any ideas?

PCFlyer
16th Mar 2004, 01:31
Let me start by saying I'm a little scared posting a thread on here because every other day I see some newbie getting hosed down after the flammage. :uhoh:

My predicament...
I'm looking for my first real position.
Older than most new guys (30)
Low hours (just over 300)
The companies I have in my sights use C210
A common requirement is 20 hours on type for insurance reasons
I only have 2.5 hours on type from a check ride combined with BFR

Now what I want to know is, what are my options in getting to the 20 hour mark?
Paying for a 210 by the hour is way too expensive! But without doing that, how am I going to get the other 17.5 hours needed?

I've looked at a company offering ICUS on a tourist run (they do charge for this ... i don't want to add to the problems of GA)
I've also bugged the daylights out of a priest with a 210 (no luck)

What have you other guys done to satisfy or get around this kind of issue?
Is this a stupid question with an obvious answer?

I know how everyone on here feels about paying for ICUS (and i feel the same) but at the moment I can't see any other way around it :confused:

grrowler
16th Mar 2004, 03:02
I can't say I've heard of companies requiring 20 hours on type to fly a 210, sounds like b*llsh*t to me. Of the four companies I know of operating 210's (having worked for two), none of them have this requirement, for the simple reason you pointed out - people can't afford to hire a 210 for 20 hrs!

I'd just pack up and get my butt to Broome, Kunnunurra, et al NOW (if you're in the position to do that, otherwise it's gonna be real hard) and make yourself known. As long as you're not too much of a tool you will eventually get a chance to prove yourself, and by the time you've done a check flight, circuits and route checks and they let you loose on your first job you'll probably have close to 20 hrs on type.

Another option is to try n get some skydiving work in a bigger town before you head north or west. It'll probably be in a 206, but it's pretty much the same thing (ok ppl, I know there's a lot of differences but you know what I mean).

Yet another option is to get pals and private hire a plane to hoon around the countryside in. Do weekend trips etc, and if you can fill up the plane it shouldn't be too expensive.

Whatever you do, do not pay some half-*rse company money to fly their flogged out 210!

Ang737
16th Mar 2004, 03:08
Hi Mate

Firstly good luck finding that all important first job. Once you get over that milestone its easier from there. Your in a catch 22 here, you need the hours to get a job but how do you get them? True paying for it is way too expensive and not necessary.

Paying for ICUS doesn't account for much as I dare say the owner has a requirement for command hours. If you get offered free ICUS then sure go for it. In the interim I would look at a few parachute mobs that operate C206 or even C182 and get some good heavy cessna time there. Its also the most enjoyable flying you will do if its a safe operator. Takeoffs and Landings, and engine management will definately be improved as will saying no to dodgy operators.

Go to Australian Parachute Federation (http://www.apf.asn.au) and check out the DZ in your area. Do the rounds and be prepared to hang around for a while.

As for the 20 hour requirement I have never heard of that one. I have only heard of operators requiring 500 hrs total which again is crap in some regards if the person is a good handler and has a good business and cutomer service acumen then they should be given the chance to prove it. Most operators can get around the insurance requirements if they wish... They just dont wish.

Anyway all the best mate and don't give up

Ang ;)

Howard Hughes
16th Mar 2004, 04:52
PC Flyer,

Check your PM's.

Cheers, HH.
:ok:

scrambler
16th Mar 2004, 13:14
Know of one company who had the 20hrs on type insuranced requirement but gave the chance to get it ICUS and on a wage. Not sure of current policy though.

Agree with all said above, you can try to get time meat bombing or head to the Kimberly.

Another option is to target an operator who has some older (not 21) pilots working for them. Some operators prefer there passengers to have a more mature driver.

Have you met these operators, at 30 you may have alot more life skills to offer them than flying. This should be to your advantage.

Research all potential companies so when you meet them they shouldn't be asking "why should we employ you" but "how can we not affor to have you".

CPL at 32 for me, so there are jobs out there.
:ok:

PCFlyer
16th Mar 2004, 21:17
Firstly thanks to everyone who has replied and also thanks for the PM's ... I really appreciate it.
Grrowler funny you should say Broome, thats exactly where I'm talking about! I was there last year, walked in off the street and scored an interview (don't know if I should say who with) on the spot (apparently that doesn't happen often), was told they liked me and I had everything they required but needed 20 hours on type for insurance. Was even called back for 2nd interview on the same day. And scrambler just like you mentioned, it seemed to be them selling me the idea that I should work for them instead of the other way around. I was told everything went really well and they would be in touch.
... never heard another thing. Tried to contact them more than a few times both by phone and email but nothing. :confused:
Anyway due to my job here in Brisbane I couldn't stay over there for as long as I would have liked. But that won't be a problem this year as I'm about to be made redundant in 2 weeks.
So Broome is the place I'll probably be headed to again but I didn't want to turn up and leave myself short by not having a "known" requirement.

Ang737
16th Mar 2004, 21:37
PC Flyer

You would probably want to get over to BRM asap as most of the job for the season would have been filled by now...

Good luck

Ang ;)

speedbird23
19th Mar 2004, 02:49
I think you will find that that is the operator politely not offering you a job. I have heard chief pilots ask if you have 206/210 time knowing full well you don`t cause your looking for your first job. I got a go straight out of flying school, with nothing faster that a Piper Arrow. Had never even sat in a Cessna before. Next time you walk in wait for the wind to blow the opposite direction, may help.

PCFlyer
19th Mar 2004, 06:30
Speedbird23 - I had considered that as a possibility but the requirement was mentioned fairly early during the course of a long interview where possible ways around it were also discussed, after which I was told they were happy everything else and then called back for a second interview. I think if they were politely not offering the job they wouldn't have bothered to call me back for a second interview.

MyAngle
21st Mar 2004, 07:00
:) PC Flyer

With regards to other ideas and on top of the replys you have received already, may I suggest that you try one (or all) of the pastoral companies that exist in NW Qld and remote NT.

I have personally worked for one and had a great time. Lots of life experiences and great flying (mainly low level).

I am not suggesting these companies for 17.5 hours C210 time but rather more like a 6-18 month period.

The companies I know operate a/c from C150 - C210. Some of them require a low level endorsement but would only ask you to get one if they were actually going to employ.

If you would like more I am happy to help;)

PCFlyer
21st Mar 2004, 23:08
MyAngle - check your pm's

PCFlyer
5th Apr 2004, 11:53
Another PPRuNe'r gave me this idea but has since seemingly disappeared so I'm back to ask if there is anyone else out there that may be interested in following through on this ...

Meeting in Darwin, hiring a 210 & flying a round trip taking in these locations;

Darwin
Batchelor
Kununurra
Halls Creek
Fitzroy Crossing
Broome
Wyndham
Port Keats
Darwin

The total flight time is ~8.8hrs (528mins) & covers 1335nm

Its just a thought at this stage but if anyone is interested please PM me to discuss further.

High Altitude
5th Apr 2004, 23:29
Drop Batchelor & Port Keats.

Add Cape Leveque, Derby?, Elquestro (camping is cheap).

Do you want a 210?

PCFlyer
6th Apr 2004, 00:00
Drop Batchelor & Port Keats.
I had the same thought.

Do you want a 210?
Yes, I do ... but no-one has shown any interest as yet. Can't do (afford) it alone. :(

I'd say most people are already where they should be this time of year and would not be keen to leave to take this on. Which is fair enough.

redsnail
6th Apr 2004, 00:29
PC Flyer,
If someone offers you some time in a C206/7 and if you're lucky you'll be paid, take it. it's practically the same engine handling/size wise as a C210. Just the gear doesn't move much and it isn't as pacey.
Good luck with your efforts.

PCFlyer
6th Apr 2004, 23:42
Redsnail,
Thats good advice and you can be sure I definitely would take 206/7 time.

Thanks for your thoughts!

grrowler
7th Apr 2004, 06:14
Does that skydiving co still operate out of Redcliffe? I think they were using a 206....

slice
7th Apr 2004, 07:25
I will have you know Ports Keats is set to become the next 5 star tourist mecca - it will rival Miami Beach! Port Keats will be Australia's Jewel in the Crown. Lush mangroves have the warm water of the Joseph Bonaparte Gulf lap against them with friendly playful Crocodiles splashing about. The ever so delicate 'indigenous' aroma mixes with the pungent yet pleasing essence of ripe camp dog dung (or even ripe camp dog - a local delicacy). The city itself has some of the most unique architecture in Australia - Gaudi himself would be astonished. View the hallowed ground of the local Constabulary - ringed with magnificent twirls of barbed wire. Local natives gaily decorate the streets and sidewalks with bright colourful wrappers and metal cans. Displays of the traditional sport of 'Rock throwing' can be seen at almost any time- they will even allow you to participate by making your quaint accomodation the target of their endeavour! Popular music takes on a whole new feel when heard at 150 dB. As a tourist who has not broken into the city's best known five star dinning establishment (Take Away) you will receive a generous discount off the 'community price'.

As they say locally 'eh u whyt kun - wad u pukin wan?'

M Bunduk - Wadeye Visitors Center - book today with Murin travel and Tours!
:E