PDA

View Full Version : CPL checkride before Class 1 Medical

johnnypick
15th Mar 2004, 22:06
Can you do the CPL before having the initial class 1 medical. I have looked at LASORS and it does'nt make it clear. It says you have to have one before you apply for the licence. When are you applying for the licence, when turn up for the check ride, or when you send your paperwork off to the CAA?
Please no lectures on how I should have done the Medical before starting out, and yes, I posted this a few weeks ago on the medical forum (no joy).
I'm in the US at the moment, and won't be able to get to the CAA before I'm back home permenantly, doing the checkride over here will save me time/money/stress.

JP

redsnail
15th Mar 2004, 22:52
You're right, the LASORS is a bit tricky. It depends on where you interpret "applicant for the CPL".
I would strongly suggest you email the CAA or phone them. Since you haven't had a reply to your question in the Medical forum I wouldn't waste much more time.
Having read the preamble in the Intro it would appear that it isn't a requirement to have the medical (Class 1) for the skills test but as you know, you need it for the issue.
The CAA strongly recommend you have the appropriate medical for the subsequent training. Unless there's another clause I haven't found that's all they say.

However, this is your licence, you should call the CAA.

Keygrip
16th Mar 2004, 03:07
No - you don't HAVE to have the medical - but the examiner should go to great lengths to point out to you (and get you to agree) that in the unlikely (?) case of you not getting a Class 1 medical when you go for the initial you will have no comeback on the school, the CAA or the examiner.

As you know - it's a gamble that you are taking - to not do the INITIAL medical before all the effort of writtens, flight training and testing is crazy (but, as you said, no lectures).

mad_jock
16th Mar 2004, 08:19
I agree with keygrip

But you can't have the cpl issued unless you are holding a valid class 1.

I did most of my training with a lapsed class 1 using attached class 2 rights for the 5 hours mutial. But then need to get the class 1 renewed before applying for the CPL.

MJ

Hotel Uniform Yankee
16th Mar 2004, 21:01
I always thought you had to show the examiner evidence of a class 1 medical along with some form of id.
Also who actually checks you have completed all the ground examinations prior to taking the test, because the examiner does not. Or again is it just a case of ensuring they are all passed prior to posting off for the licence after passing the CPL flying test.

johnnypick
16th Mar 2004, 23:36
Thanks for the replies, I was pretty sure you don't need the Initial first, but it was'nt that clear on LASORS. I should have taken the medical ages ago, but if I fail it, I'll just marry for a green card and get a job in States. Don't tell the wife!!

JP

mad_jock
17th Mar 2004, 06:43
You shouldn't be getting past the 170A stage unless you have the ground exams. Its up to the 170a examiner to check and make sure you are completly valid for sitting the flight test.

There is also another check that the belgrano shouldn't except a test booking without the exams done.

Yes I know there is no longer a 170a flight test for CPL but there is still a 170a paper work exercise.

The only thing the examiner checked of mine was my passport and PPL license but i have the feeling the PPL license was only for ease of form filling out.

MJ