PDA

View Full Version : ATPL(A) to ATPL(H)

switchA2H
15th Mar 2004, 16:30
Hi

I will shortly have an ATPL(A) from an Integrated training course and am thinking about going for the Helicopter side of things also... However this thought is still in its very junior stages and I would love some more information regarding this.

From what I see the theoretical side of things only contains one more exam (Theory of Flight for Heli's) and obviosuly the flying side of things is different. (though I may be wrong, maybe more exams)

Are there courses specifically for this to bridge the gap ?
Is there a time limit that I would have to do the flying and exams in as not to have to retake all exams etc ?

Any feedback/remarks and infromation would be greatly accepted.

Thanks In Advance

Tinstaafl
15th Mar 2004, 16:46
Do you mean you will hold an ATPL(A)? Or that you will hold a CPL(A), IR(A) & ATPL(A) theory?

Could make a difference in what credits you would get towards the helicopter licence.

Bravo73
15th Mar 2004, 19:58
Switch,

If you are at either of the Integrated training providers in the UK, both have Rotary Training departments that will be more than happy to provide you with all the details. Don't worry, 'fling-wingers' don't bite... ;)

(And I'm presuming that you've got a 'Frozen' ATPL (200hrs-ish) at the moment, rather than a full ATPL (1500hrs-ish)...)

Although, in brief:

Exams: Yes, only 1 more exam at the moment (although this is in the process of changing...) Not sure on the time validity though - check with your groundschool.

Flying: 135hrs (of which I think that you get roughly 20hrs 'credit' for your fixed-wing time. Check LASORS for details.) And remember that you're looking at roughly £2-300per hour for a basic piston trainer. If you want a fATPL(H), you'll have to convert your IR(A) - according to LASORS, a min of 10hrs IR training in a heli plus flight test and skill test. ie 15hrs @ £6-950per hour. I'll let you do the maths...

Jobs: The prospects at the moment aren't any brighter than for our fixed-wing brethren. If anything, they're worse. If you want to use your IR, then the North Sea is your only realistic option (and the operators up there probably won't be hiring for at least another year or so). If you want to instruct, you need a min 300hrs helicopter time (no credit for fixed-wing time). Once again, I'll let you do the maths on that one...

And after all that, is it really worth it? Well, before I started, somebody once described flying a heli to me as 'the most fun you can have with your clothes on'. I whole heartedly agree...

Safe flying,

B73

switchA2H
15th Mar 2004, 20:09
Thanks for the replies so far, Yes I will hold a Frozen ATPL (A) by the end of it so not mucho hours all from an integrated course at Oxford, no real life stuff.

I have been reading with interest on a few heli training sites and one I found interesting was www.heli.com based in Florida but they train to JAA/CAA requirement. Does anyone have any feedback on them ? (Helicopter Adventures)

Thanks

Bravo73
16th Mar 2004, 00:25
Check your PMs, Switch.

B73