PDA

View Full Version : E Class Procedure.

Matt-YSBK
15th Mar 2004, 11:45
As i have made it clear on some of these groups i am not a fan of a lot of the airspace changes. Common Sense seems to be that if someone knows where you are (by radio atc tcas or whatever) then you are better off. Lets give Pilots the benefit of not being idiots and will not gaze blindly in one direction if they have been told of some traffic in that direction.

To that i would like to let you know what i routinely do when i go to class E airspace. I have always had excellent experences with controllers when i do this and it says in the book you can do it. I will leave my call sign and the class "E" zone out in my example as to not perhaps stir up trouble for the controllers that may have showed an excellent airman ship (or is that controllership)

On a recent cross country i traversed a class 'E' zone at 8500ft On approaching the zone.

Nowherevill Tower This is Piper Alpha Bravo Charley 15 miles south of Nowherevill 8500 estimate nowherevill at time 33 request traffic.

The controller on my last trip was great. He/She Gave me information on 3 potential RPT traffic conflicts and then suggested i take up a slight heading change to avoided an inbound RPT passing through my level. I off cause complied with this and we all lived haply ever after.

It was like Claytons Class D. Of cause the book says that traffic is only available if work load permits but hay even if the controller is too busy to give traffic you have gotten your message across in the request.

On side note. Does anybody have stats on how many aircraft are fitted with TCAS. I Bet there is a Citation and a caravan out there with it.

Dog One
17th Mar 2004, 07:55
Matt

I bet the E airspace you flew in wasn't near Alice Springs, Launceston or Hobart. At these locations ATC can't give you a heading change to avoid a RPT unless they can see you visually, because there is no radar coverage at these locations.