View Full Version : PNG again (merged)

puff
20th Feb 2004, 11:45
Thought i'd post it in here just found it on www.seek.com.au

Not sure if your allowed to post the details so I thought i'd just put the website details

Amelia_Flashtart
26th Feb 2004, 08:05
Air Niugini Contract F/A Roles

Puff - maybe the following extract gives you an idea of what you would be in for!

** Air Niugini **

Already struggling to make ends meet because it can only fly its planes during daylight hours due to the failure of Civil Aviation to maintain the various navigational aids around the country now has to contend with bad weather. An F28 destined for Buka had to divert to Rabaul and refuel recently due to bad weather before continuing on to Buka after the weather cleared. Port Moresby's Jackson's Airport, one of the few airports in the country with suitable navigational gear for night landings, is not without its problems however. On a recent trip back into Moresby the plane I was in had to abort a final approach to the airport because the control tower lost all power and the airport was plunged into darkness. Luckily the power and computers came back on and the flight was only delayed for a few minutes. Rumours have it that bigger planes than what I was in have also had problems. Tropical cyclones around the Cairns region (the alternate airport for Moresby) have meant th
at a suitable alternate airport is many, many hours away from Moresby.

Just imagine how much money Air Niugini could make if it could fly its aeroplanes for 18 hours a day like other airlines in other countries are able to do. The airline just making a small profit this year would be making heaps and might be able to lower its airfares accordingly. Even the Boeing 767 doesn't get worked very hard when compared with a similar B767 going from Sydney to Los Angeles and back in more or less the same day flying non stop for 10 or more hours at a time.

===================

** International Flight Attendants **

Air Niugini, expecting strike action by its flight attendants, has advertised overseas for experienced Boeing 767 flight attendants. It has also advertised within the country for people with experience and qualifications to apply for temporary contracts with the company. Many people have said that the advertisements have inflamed the already tense situation with the flight attendants.

===================

YYC F/A
26th Feb 2004, 12:50
Thanks for the post Ms Amelia!

A recruitment ad tells only part of the story, i.e. that an airline needs more crew.

But this background info is good to know for anyone thinking of jumping in. Also, it begs the question, as one flight attendant to another, how far are we willing to go to look out for number one?

If strike action is looming, the 'temporary' workers are basically strike breakers. This subject has been broached before, (think Qantas), but if other F/A's jump in for 2 months work, only to cause fellow F/A's to suffer.... where's the solidarity in that?

I don't know why Air Niugini's F/A's are proposing to strike, or as to how justified it is, but when it comes to accepting a few weeks pay to smash someone elses strike, I'd be very wary.

Aside from anything else, in an industry where some form of rules, regulations (and arguably, unionisation) are required, if we can demonstrate that our final recourse - the ability to strike - can be so easily usurped, doesn't that paint a sobering picture for all of us?

Cart_tart
26th Feb 2004, 12:57
I wouldn't live in PNG if you paid me! It is extremely dangerous. You can't walk the streets. There is a serious problem with Rascals (gangs of bandits), and I'm sorry to say it but if you're a white woman you're a huge target. Accuse me of being racist or whatever, but I know from first hand experience. PM me if you think I should justify myself.
So apart from not going there on the principle of being a "strike breaker" as it seems, think about your own personal safety! No job is worth your life!
CT
x

missleadfoot
4th Mar 2004, 18:43
I have lived in PNG, Port Moresby & Mt Hagen and the following is true....

*As a foreigner you live there AYOR

*You will live in a compound secured with barbed wire

*AirNG crew live in such a compound

*Yes, gangs do roam the street with guns

*Foreigners are a target

*In many places alcohol is banned, if you have it they will kill you for it

*If gangs access your property to steal they probably will kill you if you are there.

These are all true stories and do happen. Port Moresby is probably the most dangerous place to be in PNG. These things probably wont happen to you but I have to stress the dangers associated with living there. These things have happened and continue to happen. Other parts of PNG are fine and PNG people are lovely. There are just gangs that take over and there isn't much rule there.

The good side is there are many Australians living in PNG and loving it, you just have to be aware. I'm just laying down the facts.

Q-Tee
5th Mar 2004, 20:53
OK reality here kids.

Firstly, the contract positions advertised were Brisbane based, not POM or anywhere else in PNG.

Secondly, I grew up (as an expat) in Moresby, and other areas of PNG. I return there every month or so . The 'expat' lifestyle there is fantastic.

The so-called 'dangers' of being there are no different to avoiding dangerous places in other countries around the world. No person in their right mind would wander at 3:00am through the Bronx by themselves, I wouldnt go through part of Syndey by myself at night ( and I am a big bloke !). Crew would not wander outside at night in JNB, nor would they go to certain areas in Paris at night. And I would challenge any person to wander through certain parts of Perth by themselves at night.

Every city has dangers, those 'under-developed' have more than others. It is the same as any situation, recognising the dangers, and avoiding them.

Moresby is no worse than most under-developed cities, and no worse than the 'dangerous' parts of most developed cities !!!

PNG is one of the most wonderful and beautiful parts of the world. It has no more issues than any other developing country, and the expats there are looked after, and kept as secure, as any.

As someone who's (expat) family, and friends live there, and who travels there on a monthly basis ..... I can tell you that it isnt a dangerous place, as long as you follow the 'rules'.

And it is all besides the point, as the positions advertised were not even based there :rolleyes:

Amelia_Flashtart
8th Mar 2004, 05:36
Q-Tee

Having lived permanently in PNG for over 10 yrs ntil 2.5 years ago, and as a person who still works 6 months of the year there, I find your comments on the wonderful lifestyle of the current PNG a little unsettling!

Miss Leadfoot is FAR closer to the mark, regarding personal safety and living conditions, especially (however not exclusively) for females. I also wish to add that "following the rules" will not save your life if it comes to the absolute crunch. Admittedly Moresby and Lae have a deservedly worse reputation than the rest of the country.

Oh, and by the way, the robbery, rapes, break ins, assault and holdups are NOT exclusively targetted at the Expat community - the PNG National Community suffers equally.

And the latest Australian Aid package to PNG to "clean up the law and order problem" will a best only scratch the surface.

It is a crying shame as PNG is truly one of the most beauiful and culturally rich countries in the world - and the majority of the people are as concerned about the Law and Order/safety issues as everyne else. The big difference is as Expats we have the option to walk away however the majority of the population does not have that option.

Cart_tart
15th Mar 2004, 02:19
I just caught this story on Sky news - An Aussie pilot who had flown an a/c in from CNS, had withdrawn money from an ATM and was shot dead for $20. I think they said it was in the highlands. They did mention his name but I don't remember exactly and wouldn't want to post the wrong one.
So for anyone travelling to PNG....PLEASE be careful!!
CT
x

GalleyHag
15th Mar 2004, 02:56
13:46 AEDT Mon 15 Mar 2004

From NINEMSN

Australian pilot shot dead in PNG

An Australian pilot has been shot dead by criminals in the highlands of Papua New Guinea.

Local media said Captain Alan Mourilyan was held-up at an ATM in Mount Hagen soon after he flew an Airlines PNG aircraft in from Cairns on Sunday morning.

Police told The National newspaper that two thugs, one armed with a pistol, set upon Captain Mourilyan's car after he emerged from the ATM booth.

Local police confirmed the details surrounding murder and the victim's name

They said the pilot gave a 50 kina ($20) note to the bandits but they demanded more.

The pilot then told them he had no more money and started his car engine, but they shot him in the chest.

An eyewitness said a bystander jumped in the car and drove Captain Mourilyan to hospital but he soon died of blood loss.

The newspaper, which also spoke with the victim's co-pilot, said Captain Mourilyan's wife and two children in Australia had been informed of the tragedy.

Police in Mount Hagen said they arrested an armed man believed to be the killer.

İAAP 2004

Cart_tart
16th Mar 2004, 02:30
I started another thread on D & G

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122706

I think a couple of people should take note of the stories that are being told of attacks there.

I hope no one went for the job with Air Nugini. Although BNE based you're still flying into this dangerous place. The pilot concerned was based in CNS!

DFAT has issued warnings for PNG too.

Not as safe a place as some would think it to be!

CT
x

Cart_tart
16th Mar 2004, 02:33
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122706

maybe this will open some eyes!