PDA

View Full Version : Help with Win XP re-install and lost files

5milesbaby
14th Mar 2004, 22:34
I had to fully re-install Win XP following a bad download that kept crashing everything, but the old Administrator file hasn't wiped, and it will not allow me to access this now due to the old password protection. The error message said that -- "file name" cannot be opened. Access is denied --

When I go into "My Computer - Documents and Settings" it lists all three of the old files (identities) that were created, and only allowed one to be deleted. I now have a stranger name for the main identity and cannot just use my name which was obviously easier. On top of this, the files contained in the old identity are still there but cannot be accessed due to the password protection. Is there any way this can be overwritten, I have setup the new config with the same passwords and settings, but have no way of opening the old files, it doesn't even offer "enter password", it just comes up "You are not this user. Access is denied".

All thoughts fully appreciated :ok:

amanoffewwords
14th Mar 2004, 22:53
Q.: when you mention the Administrator username - is that a username with administrator privilidges, as opposed to limited user?

In which case: Maybe a long shot but have you tried accessing the Administrator mode after booting in safe mode (press F8 after BIOS check)?

hth

amofw

5milesbaby
14th Mar 2004, 23:39
Just tried that and same result. The error message still says Access Denied. The info tab says that the file contains no sub-files, but some of my links have the original file in the title, and that screws the access. I had set up two Administrator Usernames, the ones I cannot delete or use again, and was able to delete just a "games" username that wasn't allowed to connect to the net (broadband via cable so crashed Game Play) and had limited privlidges. My current "Documents and Files" on the 'C'-drive has a list of 10 different Usernames, but only 3 are in use, and the name file-links are getting quite obscure, I just want to delete the ones not used anymore and get a normal file name. :{

To describe best, if I was called John Smith, and the other user Jane Smith, we started with John and Jane as our Username links. First re-load then gave us JohnSmith~1 and JaneSmith~1 with John and Jane still listed, and the final re-load has added JohnSmiths~1 and JaneSmiths~1. I was and still am John, so why can I not use this account again??

amanoffewwords
15th Mar 2004, 06:38
Well, if you have $200 spare you can always try http://www.lostpassword.com/

Otherwise, I'm stumped for ideas, except to say have you serched Microsoft's knowledge base here? (http://support.microsoft.com)

amofw

fobotcso
15th Mar 2004, 09:03
If you really are logged on as Administrator, you should have access to all files as long as you have satisfied certain criteria. And the fact that there was a previous administrator should not mean that you are barred from accessing those files. But you may have to fiddle with the Permissions. Passwords are another matter but the following should get you some way along the road.

First, open Windows Explorer and highlight "My Computer"with a single left click. Left-click "Tools" on the Menu Bar; left-click "Folder Options" and then left-click the "View" tab. Scroll to the bottom and uncheck "Use Simple file Sharing (Recommended)" if it is checked.

If you were able to do this then the way ahead is easy. From now on when you look at the properties of any file or folder, there will be an extra tab along the top. This will be the Security tab. Click on that and put ticks in any and all boxes for the folders and files that you can't access at the moment.

Saab Dastard
15th Mar 2004, 09:09
Logging on as administrator (the new administrator account), can you take ownership of the directories where the files that you can't access are located?

Right click the Directory - properties - security - advanced - take ownership. Change ownership to the new administrator.

You "should" then be able to access the files.

Assuming that you can, I would backup whatever you can/want/need and then trash the install, re-format and load from scratch. make sure you have a note of your hardware config, and have the correct drivers to hand.

SD

the wizard of auz
15th Mar 2004, 10:08
Maybe try using the restore function. go back to a previously stored restore piont and try to gain access to the admin from there, hopefully it has backed up files that are now missing.
Just a thought.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
15th Mar 2004, 18:28
5milesbaby,

As Saab Dastard says, you need to go in and take ownership of the files. When you do, a popup will show the progress of all the file permissions being changed.

Take Care,

Richard

5milesbaby
16th Mar 2004, 17:08
Thanks for the help so far, but still have problems. Have now managed to empty the folder (found that it was info that I had elsewhere anyway) but still cannot delete the file. Even renaming it isn't permitted. Getting a new error message now though "check the disk isn't full or write-protected and isn't currently in use".

The file isn't showing in my User Accounts, just in My Computer - Local Disk (C drive) - Documents and Settings. I have listed in Docs and Settings an Administrator account, an Owner Account, a Games account (personally set up, could delete all the old ones) and then 3 accounts in various wife's names (one current and 2 old, neither of the old ones were password protected, but were Administrator), and 5 for myself, however where 2 of these have come from beats me but 2 are old accounts that were passworded and now the ones I want to delete. Ideally I'd just like to use the original one in my first name only, and not one that the computer has cobbled together.

Any more thoughts?? Thanks again :ok:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Mar 2004, 20:12
5milesbaby,

In Safe Mode, log in as Administrator (You need to use the Admin Password you used when you installed WinXP.) and then from there try a delete the files/accounts you no longer want.

Take Care,

Richard