PDA

View Full Version : African food and catering

Dutchboy
14th Mar 2004, 21:53
In honor of Capt. Fatso I am starting a new topic about African in flight food and catering.

All comments welcome

Perhaps some do's and don'ts from anyone?

V1 Rotate
15th Mar 2004, 03:11
About 4 years ago on a part 135 flight departing FADN to HTDA at 05:00 local the caterer failed to even pitch ! The over-zealous security wouldn't let us back into the Terminal ! We all had to eat peanuts and drink black coffee for 3.5 hours.
Pax weren't happy.....I took the blame.....

V1:{

Balloothebear
15th Mar 2004, 05:40
Aww,cummon guys,wheres your sence of adventure....Africa is a wonderful place full of culinary suprises.Sure we can all slam the catering,or lack thereof,and the wonderful toilet stories thereafter.
However,whilst traveling in Europe,on all the major and some minor carriers I might add,the food was just as full of suprises,with just as funny after effects (ever tried Swedish Fiskbullar,or Belgium waffles with scrambled eggs?)And Dutchboy,some of your Hollander dishes are way scarier than our national carriers breakfast's!
Bottom line fellow Pruners,is that the nosh you get outside of your moms kitchen aint ever gonna be the same as the guys nexdoor... :O
Eat and Enjoy!:}

Flying Bean
15th Mar 2004, 06:38
Don't get me started!!

I am a regular LUN - JHB as SLF, 2/3 times a month.
Not so long ago SAA & Comair gave you a hot meal.
Then SAA downgraded to the Roll and packet of sweets. Comair still gave you an excellent Woolies type snack meal.
Then Comair dissappeared so we are stuck with SAA.
2 hour flight, R2500 fare and we get a roll and sweets!!
Most of the time now I pick up a Hamburger at Steers at the airport and eat it on board. The looks I get from my fellow pax are of envy, not amusement.:* :( :*

Dutchboy
15th Mar 2004, 13:07
Eat and Enjoy!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

These words are Captain Fatso's motto:
:D :ok:

EDDNHopper
15th Mar 2004, 14:46
Last time I was on an SAExpress flight (JNB-GBE) which, alas, was 5 years ago, I quite enjoyed that nice lunch packet. Was surprised to get anything at all, on that short hop.

The Claw
19th Mar 2004, 21:56
I can remember during the good old "bad" days when SA was tabboo!

Zambian Airways used to depart "Jan Smuts" with more catering in the hold than what was supplied to the PAX! BA had to off load any SA product from it's flights stopping in Kenya. Whilst South Africa wasn't good enough for the Pope, his aircraft still flew to SA for his catering!? 150 First Class PAX?? 7000 Rand on caviar alone! Ja, nee..........due to bad weather in Lesotho he still landed up in SA anyway! :E

Whilst all this was happening the Russian Navy continued to pick up SA catering via Mozambique!

Politics and food, can you stomach it ! :confused:

RUDAS
20th Mar 2004, 10:42
Hey guys-nice topic!

I must say,i find SAA's catering pretty good.In fact,i reckon their Economy class food is better than their Business class catering,because they tend to get a bit pretentious and complex with their business class food,which overstretces their abilities on a long haul flight (ie you try eating 'crispy roast duck with an orange glaze' after its been standing for hours),but generally their economy class food is very good-simple but nice.I'm not so sure about their regional/domestic catering,i've also had the cheese roll and crisps and i must say,thats all i need really,on a two-hour flight.

As for further north,I had the subjective priviledge of flying LAM mozambique to DXB a while ago,and i got stew and a choice of Oros or Laurentina.You know what i chose...;)

More interesting though was that we had a choice of Laurentina or Oros with our scrambled eggs the next morning at 3am!

As for Air Gabon,They really are quite impressive catering-wise.Very nice food and great service all the way to CDG.

Much the same for Kenya Airways,who have pretty good catering and very polite and professional cabin staff:ok: