PDA

View Full Version : Confused about degrees, Modular, and Integrated courses available. Advice appreciated

poobaboon
14th Mar 2004, 20:59
Hi everyone, I need some advice. I have always wanted to be a pilot since I was a kid, its only now I can seriously consider my options as I am old enough to apply on to the different courses and schemes such as CTC.

Here is a bit of background (thought it might be helpful but feel free to skip down past it, not sure if its relevant)

I finished my A levels last year with ABC(+C in general studies) and decided to do Computing at University as I was interested in problem solving and programming, and a little in computers in general. After a few months I wasn't really happy with it, it was way too boring, I didn't want to spend 3 years feeling like that and also the debt I would end up with, and it made me realise I certainly don't want a career in that field at any point in my life. So I posted in here and got some good advice (thanks), mostly saying that if ever a degree will matter, it will probably be the fact it is a degree rather than the subject, and I was also recommended that a good option would be to apply on to the CTC scheme and any similar. At the time, I wasn't old enough to do this, and I had the option to transfer on to the Aviation Technology course which I did do, mainly because I would rather spend 3 years doing something interesting, I feel it is important to be happy with what you are doing, and in doing Computing I wasn't happy, and I couldn't really turn down the placement as it is still potentially a stepping stone (I will have a degree to put on my CV). I have secured a place on the Aviation course to start in September so I am currently working full time at HSBC.

Now that I have secured a place on the course, I am wondering if I am doing the correct thing at this time and trying to weigh up my options. I have listed them below, but would really like some input on these such as what is right, what is wrong about them, what else should I consider, are there any more resources to check out?

1: Do the aviation degree. At the end I will have a degree, a PPL, but at least 6 or 7 thousand in debt if I live at home (the uni is local) or double that + more if I live in accomodation. hmmm!

2: Work full time for a few years, this will enable me to build up some money for options 4 or 5

3: Apply for a place on the CTC scheme (or similar). Its a route with fierce competition but who knows what is possible, I could fail at stage 1 or make it all the way through, so I think its definately worth considering as I have nothing to lose. In the end it could be possible to have the licenses I need and a possible job so surely its worth a shot.

4: Try get on an integrated course. If I work for a few years I would be able to part fund it to ease the cost slightly. In the end of that I could have the licenses I need in maybe 2 years, but may be more difficult to get a job (eg CTC have links to Easyjet and Thomas Cook) and may be difficult to get type rating?

5: Go on the modular route. Multiflight at LBA offer a modular course and LBA is only 35 or so minutes away so I could still live at home for part of it and save. In the end I could have the licenses I need, I could part fund it by working, it wouldn't cost as much as integrated, but will probably take a lot longer and possibly less chance of getting a job like option 4? Are there any particular Integrated or Modular courses, not sponsored by airlines, that are known to be 'favoured' by airlines?

I suppose working for HSBC could come in handy, I have heard they are quite big anyway with helping people finance expensive training to develope a career.

I think they appear to be my main options but I am finding it hard to weigh up the advantages and disadvantages of these as I don't know anyone with experience of these.

I am completely confused about what to do, which is why any advice you can offer from your experience whether you are in a similar position, in training, a pilot or former pilot is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for your time in reading this and any comments you can add.

Daniel

edited: Just realised this may be better in the other wannabe forum, sorry

skyman68
15th Mar 2004, 21:16
stay away from aviation or go modular when you get some money.
dont waste too much. return in money is not guaranteed.
all i can suggest you.

waspie
16th Mar 2004, 09:12
I am 16 so in a similar situation to you. I have been told by all the commercial pilots that I know to NOT do the modular, do the integrated if you can get it, otherwise choose a different profession. I have had advice from about 8 airline pilots so far, and they have all said that. But, dont forget, if you think you can get a job at the end of it then get an ATPL(F) any way you can (try not to break the bank, although, unfortunately its really the only option).

Jonny
16th Mar 2004, 09:35
Waspie - Do you mind me asking what the background is of the commercial pilots that have recommended an integrated route.

Like you, i've met many experienced pilots who have all advised the integrated route yet on this board all the employed pilots suggest the opposite. :confused:

Admittedly all the pilots I've met are from the same background: Old-school BA pilots so perhaps their's is a dated view or at least a view that is not relevent to the industry as a whole.

I'm just trying to work out why there is such a discrepancy between the advice of the "real" pilots i meet and those on this board... it makes decisions very difficult!

PPRuNe Towers
16th Mar 2004, 10:45
Waspie and Jonny,

Any pilot who qualified more that 4 years or so ago doesn't know what integrated is, didn't qualify under it and is mistaking it for the old Cap509 route.

Totally and profoundly different. Modular and integrated are the same standard and same syllabus. One is more flexible than the other. Your research on prices might show some other significant differences as well :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The background and era qualified is the most important question to have in your mind when you filter the opinions of pilots unless you know them to be 100% total aviation people who spend a large proportion of their free time at the grass roots. Even then a hard core vintage, warbird or aerobatic man has no reason to have any current training knowledge.

Todays shocking fact for wannabees

Less than 1 in a hundred pro pilots have anything at all to do with aviation outside of turning up at work. They don't read the magazines, go to airfields or shows - work is quite enough thanks. Note for yourselves that they barely contribute to the private forum or this forum - they'd rather have a life.

Danny and I have the exact figures on how many pro aviators subscribe to the mag that pitches itself to the airline industry. This exact number is obviously commercially confidential but let's just say we get the same in less than an hour. So, they won't even buy the pro industry mag and simply look at the job pages in the back while passing through the airport. They don't buy the GA mags or even flick through them and they do their best to forget the hurdles they had to jump just as soon as they possibly can.

Bear this in mind next time your chatting. Just how do they know if one is better than another in JAA land?? How do they know the differences? Where did they discover the information to derive their opinions?

A working airline pilot will be along shortly to shoot me down in flames if there is a porky in any of the above!!!!!

Regards to all,
Rob

AIRWAY
16th Mar 2004, 10:55
Modular and integrated are the same standard and same syllabus. One is more flexible than the other. Your research on prices might show some other significant differences as well

Towers said it all with the above.

Im on the modular, and enjoying, it gives me extra time, to work and get more money, more money means more flying. It also allows me to study something else apart from flying, and yes it's good to have a plan B.

Jonny
16th Mar 2004, 10:58
Very helpful ... thanks Rob.