PDA

View Full Version : Airline scutter or Instructor?

retro cowboy
14th Mar 2004, 17:36
Hello all,

I'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment with regards to a job; aren't we all! I recently had an interview with BACitiexpress for a Navigation Service Officer position, and although I haven't been offered the job (yet!) I can't decide if I should take it if I do get offered it. I'm not sure what the best route to the airlines is, should I go instructing and get the hours in, or should I go and work as a random employee for an airline and hope they notice me eventually?
This latter route would mean no hours clocking up, thus if this is the wrong route all those behind me are now suddenly ahead, not what I want particularly. There were 25 other pilots biding for the position (scary) and I'm not certain that this would be the best position since the manager told me that the fleet was downsizing or just staying the same at best. Although he did say that if I worked hard he would recommend me for any positions (in a year or 2) if there were any to be had.
If anyone can help me on this one with some grand wisdom I would be most grateful.

Cheers:ok:

smaamer
14th Mar 2004, 22:30
My Dear freind

This is a very hard decision to make,but my advice to anyone that has recently got a frozen ATPL is to keep current.

One method is that you pay for it yourself if you have a healthy bank account and the other is getting an Instructors rating, the benefits of the rating are you learn more about flying and in future you could pursue an instructors course in the airline you join.

Doing your rating will cost you but you can work as an part time Instructor, this way you can keep both jobs and most airlines do prefer current flying.The other thing is you can network through the flying club and hear the gossip of whats really going on.

The best way to do the rating is to find out what club does the rating and if they will employ after you get your rating, most clubs will employ you if they do the rating and there is a need for them at the moment as Instructors are moving on.

Good Luck .

orangetree
15th Mar 2004, 00:55
If you are considering taking a non flying job with an airline you need to be wary. Many airlines will be very reluctant to move you from that postion. You need to ask yourself if you trust them to honour what they say. I know a few guys in a similar situation who find they have gained no advantage at all.

retro cowboy
15th Mar 2004, 08:47
Thank you guys, I will consider both points carefully and hopefully end up with the right decision!

witchdoctor
15th Mar 2004, 11:47
Hi there,

I know guys that have done both (worked as FI's and had aviation-related ground jobs - even one who was a hostie) and moved into the airlines over the last 12 months.

My own preference would be to go the FI route. For one, you will be flying (far more fun than a desk job, even on a bad day), keeping current and probably have the better chance of later employment.

Also, BA CitiExpress haven't to my knowledge taken any newbies since at least summer 2002 when they last interviewed for vacancies, and I still know one guy who has been in their hold pool since then without any luck. I wouldn't waste my time there hoping to get a job with them, as I reckon they are just about the least likely operator to recruit. If you want a ground job, at least choose someone with better employment prospects.

Good luck though.

Pilot Pete
15th Mar 2004, 22:14
the benefits of the rating are you learn more about flying and in future you could pursue an instructors course in the airline you join.

Not trying to be pedantic, just to point out that an instructor rating is not required to become a training captain in an airline at a later date................... not saying the experience won't be beneficial though;)

PP

Blue Bug
18th Mar 2004, 11:29
G'day all!

I'm in a similar position and was going to ask the same question!

I have a fATPL but have just completed the FI course.
I am doing instructing on a part time basis but need another job (for the money!!) but i wasn't sure if i should just bite the bullet and instruct full time and rack up a good few hours or to try and get a job with airline either on the ground or as cabin crew.

One of the problems that i have come across is an awful lot of 'wannabe-an-airline-pilot' instructors have been 'stuck' instructing for years and gained perhaps too many of the wrong type of hours (ie 2000-2500hrs in SEP aircraft). They now find it hard to move on to the airlines.

Any further advice would be most welcome!!

Cheers!
BB.
:ok: