PDA

View Full Version : Tyabb - What happened to the Auster?

Critical Reynolds No
14th Mar 2004, 11:35
Hi all,

Did anyone hang around to watch the departures after the end of the flying display? I didn't see when it started it's take offf roll but after a few gasps from the crowd, I turn to see the Auster 45 degrees from runway heading, on the grass and heading for the slight mound they have there. It jumped into the air after going over it, just had enough speed to keep airborne and climb away over the parked visitor aircraft. One of the show marshalls was having a right chuckle. Wasn't much of a crosswind. Wonder what happened?

To the Chieftan pilot who made an intersection departure, I don't
think the marshalls thought you had enough runway. Good effort!

Great show. Better than Avalon.

TwoDogs
15th Mar 2004, 09:56
I was a little surprised by the title. Is Tyabb still operating?
I learned to fly Austers in Tyabb back in the late '60,s and even performed my first solo circuit at an air show there, in a vicious crosswind, in front of a large crowd.
Whatever happened to Bill Vowden ??? and Jack Ellis. Both long departed I guess.

kookabat
15th Mar 2004, 10:10
Did anyone hang around to watch the departures after the end of the flying display? I didn't see when it started it's take offf roll but after a few gasps from the crowd, I turn to see the Auster 45 degrees from runway heading

-Yep, I was there... showing off? 'lost it'? No idea... but looked a bit spectacular.
Also - was surprised the Chieftain did the intersection departure - I must admit I was in agreement with the marshalls, didn't think he'd make it either - full marks!

Adam

FFG 02
15th Mar 2004, 11:49
Two Dogs,

Tyabb is definately operating. Spent a couple of million sealing the runway and yep the x-wind still there!
Heaps of old warbirds down there and trying to make it like a second Temora!
Check out www.pac.asn.com.au

:ok:

TwoDogs
15th Mar 2004, 16:00
FFG02

Wow...

It sure has come a long way...... but then it's been a bloody long time I guess.
Thanks for the link....it should be http://www.pac.asn.au/ no .com

thanks again
TD

Blue Sky Baron
16th Mar 2004, 00:55
Two Dogs,

Big changes over the years at Tyabb.
When were you last there, I've been a member since early 70's, maybe we know each other.

Tyabb hosts well over 100 aircraft now, many of those warbirds and antiques.

The major difference from Temora is that all of the antiques and warbirds at Tyabb are privately owned, mostly by pilots who fly them regularly, whereas I believe the aircraft at Temora are owned by the Museum there. (Someone correct me please if my info on Temora is incorrect.)

Tyabb now hosts the largest collection of FLYING antiques and warbirds in the Southern Hemisphere, some of those antiques also walk!!!!

The airfield at Tyabb, which was known as Westernport Airfield has has now, as of Sunday been renamed Mornington Peninsula Airfield - Tyabb to more accurately reflect its location on the Mornington Peninsula.

The airfield is owned and operated by the Peninsula Aero Club which currently has about 550 members.

One of the most unique features of Tyabb is that it has strong support from the Mornington Peninsula Shire and they should be congratulated in supporting a local community asset, something other councils should take note of. Airfields are an asset to the community and should be treated as such!

All aviators are always welcome to fly in or drive in and have a coffee in the clubrooms, and its not a hard task to convince someone to give you a tour of some of the hangars containing some amazing aircraft.

If anyone wishes to visit or find out more feel free to PM me.

BSB :cool:

PS Bill Vowell is no longer with us, as is Doug Thompson, last I heard Jack Ellis is still alive living down Rosebud way. (But that was a while ago).

TwoDogs
16th Mar 2004, 12:29
...thanks for the update.

Talk about nostalgia. Would you believe that you have just prompted me to dig out my logbook to see when I last flew (legally). I have not opened it for 34 years and it is looking pretty motheaten and cockroach munched.......................
My last logged flight was on the 9/11/1969 in a Chipmunk Reg. VH-AST.
All my initial flying was done in Austers at Tyabb but, following some sort of dispute between messers Ellis and Vowell, I believe, the organisation (Pilotmakers Ellis Flying Training School) moved down to Geelong somewhere for a while and then returned to Moorooduc.
After leaving school in 1969 I could no longer afford flying lessons (I had a scholarship which payed for my schooling so I used the money my folks had put aside for schooling for flying lessons) and have not been back since.
I can vaguely remember a very nice lady, Caroline ??, who was my instructor for a while. I wonder what happened to her??

www.2-dogz.com
-----------------------------------------------
I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol
-----------------------------------------------

QNIM
16th Mar 2004, 23:42
Gday TwoDogs
My memory is a little faded after all these years but the dispute you mention and I may be corrected was that Cpt Ellis was the CFI of the aero club and was running a flying school in opposition, so the club fenced off the western portion of the eastwest runway so that he couldn't operate, Ellis then moved to Lovely Banks (Geelong) and as you say back to Moorooduc. Dear old Jack is still going strong and has a webb site I think about the Ansett downfall and CASA's help. Someone may be able to help with that.
Cheers Q

Lukeatme
21st Apr 2004, 07:36
Two Dogs it was Corrine Nugent and Jack went to Barwon Heads well before Lovely Banks.

You will find some handy work at www.casa-x.org