PDA

View Full Version : Connecting To BTopenworld

moleslayer
14th Mar 2004, 10:59
Win98se, Alcatel SpeedTouch USB Modem..........

Whenever I start-up and IMMEDIATELY connect to BTopenworld, I always (99%) get a connection, and I am very happy with the service.

However, if I start-up and then do anything else at all, even if it's just the screensaver, NO connection (error 650).

I've re-installed the Alcatel drivers, no joy !

Anyone else suffer from this ?

Any ideas to solve the problem ?

Thanks, Moley.

fobotcso
14th Mar 2004, 11:49
moleslayer, this is quite an odd one.

My I sugest that, to help diagnosis, you take a look at the processes that are running immediately after start up when you know that the Dial-up is going to work and then compare the list with the processes that are running when you know that the Dial-up is not going to work.

You'll recall that this list is found by pressing Ctrl/Alt/Del simultaneously. Only do this once and Cancel in between or you'll upset the applecart.

moleslayer
14th Mar 2004, 17:24
Thanks fobotcso for your suggestion.............

After much diagnosis I discovered the process 'Rnaapp' was the culprit responsible.

This process loads with windows, and is the 'Microsoft Dial Up Networking' program. It has a known problem in that it sometimes fails to shutdown, and on restart won't allow another connection because it thinks it already has one. Hence the error650 !

I've downloaded an Alcatel SpeedTouch support driver fix, which seems to be working !!

Many thanks, this has been driving me nuts for months

:ok: Moley.

fobotcso
14th Mar 2004, 18:32
Well Done. Hope it keeps working. Thanks for the feedback