PDA

View Full Version : If this is the new server...

amanoffewwords
14th Mar 2004, 09:10
it's mindbogglingly fast...

Well done Danny & crew. http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/jump_clap.gif

I want one too...

amofw

spekesoftly
14th Mar 2004, 09:45
Agreed - and 'on-schedule' - many thanks to Danny and his team.

Danny
14th Mar 2004, 10:12
It is. Please thank drauk and Ridley as they did all the work. I just take the glory! :}

digidave
14th Mar 2004, 11:02
Drauk and Ridley many thanks.

I thought I was going to have to talk to my wife, but there's no need - I wake up and pprune is still here ;)

Great work.:ok:

PPRuNe Pop
14th Mar 2004, 11:14
I was taking upwards of 10 seconds getting a page open at certain times. Suddenly, it is - maybe - a second! Couldn't time it really but it's certainly very fast. Well done Danny - love it :D

Practice Auto 3,2,1
14th Mar 2004, 11:19
Yep I can only echo the words already said. Thanks Danny et all, Prune is so much faster now!!

:ok: :ok:

fobotcso
14th Mar 2004, 11:42
My one remaining brain cell this Sunday morning is, indeed, completely boggled! Brilliant! :ok:

Rupert S
14th Mar 2004, 12:48
what are the specs of this new magical server?

flynverted
14th Mar 2004, 12:54
Thank you, Danny :ok: All the hard work is greatly appreciated :cool:

Best 100th post ever?? :rolleyes:

PPRuNe Towers
14th Mar 2004, 17:12
2U Rackmount server
2x 2.8GHz Intel Xeon Processors with 512KB Level 2 cache
2Gb DDR SDRAM
3x 36Gb 15,000RPM SCSI discs
24 speed CD-ROM
Perc 3/Di RAID SCSI Controller with 128Mb cache
2x Hot-swappable PSUs
2x 100Mb Network Interfaces

and, most importantly, the magic of our tech guys and host.

Regards
Rob

Mac the Knife
14th Mar 2004, 17:26
Very fast - big difference! :ok:

Many thanks and well done

Trust you've paid your Linux licence fee to :* SCO :yuk:

Support the GPL/FSF! Visit http://www.groklaw.net/ and contribute

FJJP
14th Mar 2004, 21:04
Danny and the Team - outstanding job. Excellent spec - the difference in speed is very noticeable. Now, I have this network at the office that might benefit from your magic touch... Heck, no! I wouldn't want to suffer the wrath of fellow PPruners by dragging you away!!!

Thanks for all your efforts.

FJJP

Ridley
15th Mar 2004, 00:54
Thanks for all the Kudo's guys.

It was worth all the hard work we put into it. (And the 5:00am bedtime)

FJJP: If your serious about network help, I couldn't compliment dauk enough for all the hard work he did. (And his team at www.dsc.net (http://www.dsc.net))

With PPRuNe we had more than our share of needs and little things that needed to be configured perfectly. Our list of needs was very comprehensive and David and his team covered them all perfectly.

One of the most impressive things is the complexity of some of the mysql scripts that are run behind the scenes that took a long time to run on the old server. For example one of our heavier scripts does a full report on all the targeting stats for our advertisers, it took around 25-35 seconds to run on the old server (at non-peak hours). This server spits it out in 1-3 seconds (during peak hours).

You gotta love that.

P.S. Since DSC are an actual company and not just a huge fan of PPRuNe, I can recommend them wholeheartedly for any network job you might have. And no, we don't need to worry they won't have time to work on our stuff at PPRuNe, we've blackmailed all of them. (Our spies are everywhere)

Ridley

Naples Air Center, Inc.
15th Mar 2004, 18:07
Man I am out of the forums for a couple of days and everything changes! :eek:

Well done. :ok:

Richard

BahrainLad
15th Mar 2004, 20:03
Just out of interest Danny and Towers, how come you didn't go for Apple Xserves? I know you're both keen on Macs (as am I...just bought a new 15" PB)....was it a cost consideration...or something else?

Thanks for the new serve in any case.....greased lightening!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
15th Mar 2004, 21:28
Just out of interest Danny and Towers, how come you didn't go for Apple Xserves? I know you're both keen on Macs

[Ducks for cover.] :eek:

:cool:

PPRuNe Towers
16th Mar 2004, 11:23
If we were hosting no question but we are relying on the hardwon, longterm expertise of a third party company to host, maintain and backup the site.

Purely as a matter of interest I recommend looking at the Xserve performance figures from third parties. Also check out the licence costs for network client licences - last time I looked less that 700 quid for unlimited users. Meaningless of course until you read what systems admin say about it;) ;)

Regards
Rob

Daysleeper
17th Mar 2004, 08:46
New server the same week I get broadband.
WOO HOO!

:D

Its so fast the page is up on my powerbook before I've even decided to click on it! or the wi-fi network is frying my brain. But whichever its fast. well done chaps.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Mar 2004, 13:10
Daysleeper,

You must feel like a C-152 Pilot upgrading to an SR-71. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

amanoffewwords
17th Mar 2004, 14:45
Ooops just got a server too busy message @15:43g - hopefully just a fluke..?

amofw

drauk
17th Mar 2004, 15:59
amanoffewwords, fear not. It wasn't a fluke as such, we were just busy doing some other configuration stuff. The server load, even at peak times of day, is very low.

Rupert S
20th Mar 2004, 08:48
No, it's not a mac based server! I just won't look at PPRuNe the same way again. I've just set up an XServe. Fantastic machine. I highly reccommend it for your next upgrade. Probably worth running it through linux instead of mac OS though.