PDA

View Full Version : Morning thoughts, and hope

FlyingForFun
12th Sep 2001, 11:29
I'm not normally a crying kind of person, but I heard this on the radio this morning, and it made me cry. The DJ was asked by a listener to read out a message to, I think, his brother, who was in New York yesterday. He knows his brother is alive, because they spoke briefly yesterday. He also knows his brother listens to Capital Radio on the Internet in the small hours, and was fairly sure he'd be listening to the message, which was: "David, all our thoughts are with you this morning. And we will, somehow, get over there for your wedding 3 weeks' time."

So good to see a glimmer of hope shining through.....

In the mean time, my thoughts are with the family and friends of all those who died in yesterday's terror. I know that several PPRuNers have lost loved ones. With the size of the PPRuNe community, I suspect that we've probably lost some of our members, too. Please take a minute out to think of them.

FFF
----------

I'd rather
12th Sep 2001, 14:46
My prayers go to the victims and their families.

I have been thinking about other Ppruners - we know Ranger and McD are safe, but there seem to be other people we haven't heard from - I was thinking about Judy T, Eboy and others - has anyone got any news?

Velvet
12th Sep 2001, 22:30
I'd Rather Judy T, Trinflight and conpilot are all safe. They were in chat last night.

My thoughts and prayers are with our friends and family in the States.

GoGirl
13th Sep 2001, 11:45
Many of you know me as GoGirl, but today, I’m Amanda.

I come from Melbourne, Australia. On Tuesday morning, the 11th of September, when I woke up, and got out of bed, my thoughts immediately turned to the inevitable financial collapse of the company that my husband works for, and several of my friends and family members, and my heart felt heavy. Actually, it had felt heavy for about the last week.

On Wednesday morning when I woke up, after about 2 hours sleep, my heart no longer heavy, instead, my whole being shattered.

No, I’m not anyone special, just one of the many many people who actually watched live from their home TV sets as a news broadcast suddenly focused in on the WTC, which had just been hit, by what seemed to have been, and as reported at the time, a small aircraft. Literally, this had occurred within the last 8-10 minutes or so.
Here I am, trying to absorb just what it is I’m seeing, when the most unimaginable thing happened….an aircraft appeared in the shot, and slammed into the second tower, then and there, just like that.

A little over 40 hours ago, my life, and the lives of people around the globe, changed forever. For the people of New York and indeed, the United States, this has got to be terrifying, devastating…..words cannot convey.

My problems here at home, seemed to have almost paled in comparrison. My future husband and I look like we are going to lose an awful lot if his company does go under, including the house we have just purchased, and are set to move into in a few weeks.
But you know what, it now seems trivial.

I held his hand for 4 hours early Wednesday morning as we watched together, the events unfolding on the other side of the world. I told him I love him. I phoned my parents, and told them I love them. Actually, I just wanted to speak to everyone I know.

I’m not writing this to inflict my opinions on anyone. I don’t even know what my opinions are, only that this has changed me.

All you have to do is watch a television set right now, and on any given station, there is someone telling their account, and inevitably breaking down in the process…. Be they a firemen, police officer, office worker, construction worker, or medical staff, and media. And I can’t seem to watch this, and not be reduced to tears, and a feeling of anguish for these people.

The only comfort I am finding at this horrific time in our lives, is that of my fiance’s arms around me, physically knowing we have one-another.

I am not a religious person, so I am using the words of a song I feel appropriate…

‘No words to say,
No words to convey,
This Feeling I have inside’

Amanda

I'd rather
13th Sep 2001, 13:50
Velvet, thanks for the info.

Amanda, I share your feelings and I agree that our problems seem insignficant at the moment, as long we have those we love around us. Makes you realise what's really important. Despite that, I'm still very sorry to hear about your problems at the moment - hang in there girlie - hope things go well for you.

Evo7
13th Sep 2001, 14:50
I still feel shattered by the whole thing. First I heard about it was on PPRuNe, when there was a posting about a twin engined aircraft hitting the WTC. My first thought was that it was a Seneca or similar and it was some tragic accident, but then there was another posting saying it was a 737 and then that a second aircraft had hit, and things continued to get worse.

I'm a Brit but my wife is American, and we've got friends and family in New York. Fortunately all OK, but things are very quiet in the Evo household at the moment.

traveler
13th Sep 2001, 15:59
Same here, wife American.
In-laws all okay.

But the horror .....

To be in one of those planes ...

Disbelieve, sadness and anger.

My sympathies and condolences to all who've lost loved ones.
Everyone, especially those in aviation, is feeling with you.
God bless.

pulse1
13th Sep 2001, 21:27
Amanda,

I suppose I am a religious person but I share your thoughts and feelings exactly. On Tuesday morning I knew I was going to have a bad day because I was going to announce some job losses in my company. The news broke just as I was about to call people together for the announcement. When told that two airliners had hit the WTC my first thoughts were that it must have been a mid-air collision. When I learnt that they had been 18 minutes apart, the dreadful realisation hit me and I decided to postpone the announcement until the next day. For me and all my colleagues this has become an appalling week and, although our local suffering is trivial compared to those we see continuously on our TV screens, the additive effect seems to make it worse. We also see acts of heroism, self sacrifice and courage which show that humankind is also capable of such goodness. It is this which makes me tearful.

Surely, this is one of those historic events which must force the democratic and rich governments of this world to join together and, not only attack terrorism everywhere, but to honestly deal with the injustices which encourage it. On this bulletin we have been discussing the recent violence in the Ardoyne, which seems almost insignificant now, and I personally have learned a lot from other contributors. For years we have seen, and in some cases suffered from, the violence of IRA “terrorism” which has been financially supported by some US citizens. From MaxAlt and others we have heard about the historic injustice which the Catholic community has suffered for generations. The Good Friday agreement is a good attempt to eliminate some of these injustices and, for the first time, I can see that it is more important to put these aspects of the agreement into effect than to worry about a store of unused weapons. Once they are in effect, then the weapons and anyone who attempts to use them should be ruthlessly destroyed by force. Any state who has demonstrated a priority for correcting injustice should have the moral authority to do that, even if the terrorists are located in another state. I thought that was what the UN was for but, when the leading states have an obvious self-interest which transcends the need for justice, it becomes largely ineffective and is only used for political purposes.

Can our world leaders really capture this moment to encourage us all to face up to the reality of injustice rooted in our histories. It can only be done at a great cost which must be borne by the rich countries, and WILL be borne one way or another, as this week’s events have demonstrated.

Each one of us will bear a cost of this tragedy. We can pay it in loss of the liberty we have enjoyed up to now, in higher cost of a much more inconvenient form of air travel and in further atrocities of this kind. Or we can pay it in redressing the major injustices of this world, that of world poverty and starvation. This is one of those moments of choice, and I think that each one of us has to face it. I have no idea what the material cost of this disaster will be but I am sure that, had the USA given that to some poor nation in a way that was obviously not governed by self interest, this would give her the moral authority and support to ruthlessly stamp out terrorists anywhere in the world. Pie in the sky I know but I feel better for expressing it.

Grainger
14th Sep 2001, 00:38
I'm safe but stranded in Toronto. Arrived Toronto Pearson late Monday evening - rather too close for comfort.

Watching it all unfold on Tuesday morning was like something out of a movie. First we had just an internet news feed, then the Web went down and while someone scrambled to find a radio, all we had was a scrolling text feed from a guy in New York on a chatline - he typed: "Oh god, it's coming down - the whole tower's collapsing..."

Somehow, in spite of all the pictures and media coverage that was the defining and most chilling moment of the whole weeks events for me. I still do not know if that guy is alive.

Looks like I won't get out of Pearson until Monday, but that doesn't matter. With the number of times I've been though Logan - well, it just doesn't bear thinking about.

Send Clowns
14th Sep 2001, 01:32
Glad to hear you're OK Grainger. Was tangible relief on PPRuNe chat each time someone in America called in that night. Very full, people who needed to feel not alone.

Didn't cry til I got to PPRuNe and started chatting their. Terrible. Terrible. :(

kopbhoy2
14th Sep 2001, 01:47
Like many others who read & post here I am familiar with New York City. I spent a summer in Long Island after graduating from College, and the sight of the city's skyline as I made my way into Manhattan from JFK upon my arrival was simply awesome. To think of what has happened fills my with such sadness that I simply can't describe the way I feel today.

Reading the postings here - particularly Amandas words - well it just makes the trivial things pale into insignificance, doesn't it? A few days ago I was worried about some money matters, right now I couldn't give a damn...

To any of you out there who have been affected by this terrible atrocity I offer you my deepest sympathies.

Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart, and You'll never walk alone...

golden_hands
14th Sep 2001, 02:43
Disbelief and horror are the only words that come to mind. Cannot comprehend that people are able to do such terrible acts. Seeing on television the shots about answers on the message machines makes me shiver through the bone. Freedom is worth so much and I really wish the world hasn't changed too much.

Amanda I hope time will cure your problems soon. Although it seems bleak in contrast with the drama in NY and Washington, it still can be very stressfull personally. Deal with it and you'll feel better!

GH

"sometimes smilies cannot show your true emotions"

GoGirl
14th Sep 2001, 13:24
On a slightly personal note, I just wanted to say thanks to those of you, who, through your own greif, have been able to offer me words of some comfort.
Sadly however, and trivial as it does seem in contrast with the tragic events in America, my own world came crashing down to my feet today.
Coupled with the deep sense of shock over the dispicable acts in the US, and my own personal despair, I went through the first part of today as though I was drugged, numbed.

Stop the World, I wanna Get Off

And then, this afternoon, something happened.
I don't know if it was suddenly the realization that the media coverage was finally starting to really get me down, or if I finally came out of shock. Whatever made it happen, I'm just so glad it did.

I sat down with my partner, and we thought aloud to each other for a couple of hours. We talked. We turned off the radio, we turned off the TV, and we sat there, in the middle of the madness, and had the most rational discussion that we've had since we've known each other.

The outcome of that conversation has shaped our future, as we now want it to be.
We realised that sure, we can sit here and cry and feel very very very distraught about what has happened this week, and that that was what we were actually doing.
But what we actually should be doing is focussing on what can be, if we have the faith in ourselves, if we take control and MAKE the choices in our lives. Instead of just hanging around to have the choices made for us.

Tonight, I'm almost at peace with myself. In one week, I feel I've taken a long journey, only it's not ending, it's just that in future, I chose what direction it's going to go in.

So peace go with you all, and good luck in your voyage to happiness...just remember to embrace it.

Sincerely
GG/Amanda

Grainger
14th Sep 2001, 20:51
Hey GG - glad to hear that things are coming together for ya.

Once the initial shock and grief are over, and the immediate tasks of rescue, supoort, counselling (and in my case, getting home ...! ) are over, it would do us all good to reflect and see what good can come out of this.

Those who organised this need to be brought to justice, but we must be careful not to let hate breed further hate.

Positive actions will say far more about our spirit than lashing out in fear and further violence.

For my part I will continue to fly without fear. Buildings and aircraft can be rebuilt, and we will not forget those who are no longer with us, or their friends and families.

If this makes us take stock of our lives and perhaps get a realisation of what is really important, then at least something will be salvaged from what has happened.