PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me!

The Yank
14th Mar 2004, 01:06
I think this is a first even for me. Now I know that I have hit absolute bottom.

Thursday morning get a call from a Company asking if I would be interested in flying there Aircraft (single crew) for them. It was a job that I had applied for over the Internet from some site or another (lost track)… Funny, but for once I was more than qualified for the position. After the guy finished describing the job to me (including having to get a skippers license to drive the bosses boat) the guy over the phone asked when I was available for an interview (almost urgently). I responded in the most appropriate manner… “As soon as you would like sir… “ I was given the response aaahhhh…… don’t know but I will get back to you latter in the day.

GREAT finally something ! It wasn’t a step up in aircraft that I currently fly, but it entailed a very big pay increase, AND A SALARY!!!!

Now here is the fun bit.

Latter that day I called the company back to find out if a decision had been made on the date of the interview. Only to be told THE JOB HAS BEEN FILLED!!!!

Now most must understand that with a name like The Yank I am American but 90% of my flying has been in the EU and I have lived here close to 7 years.

So now I have 2 questions.
1) Was it my accent that put them off?
2) Which one of you got the Job?

When you can’t even get o job flying a single piston with 2700 total time there is no hope!

flat-tire
14th Mar 2004, 05:29
The Yank

Please Check your PMs.

skyman68
15th Mar 2004, 21:11
welcome in euroland.in the US, I worked without a work permit anf got jobs everywhere, here I am a EU citizen and I can not get a damn job even in MY country.it s not your "lovely yankee accent", it's EUROPE here!!!

2000h tt, 300 turbine,...

RobertFL
17th Mar 2004, 16:04
Just being curious since you are american why are you trying to get employement in europe , wouldn't be easier for you to try in USA ???

The Yank
18th Mar 2004, 09:51
Gggeeee RobertFL,

Well I never though about tht before!!! Is that what I have been doing wrong.

Not that it matters but my wife is British, and I have been here for 6 1/2 years and have no reason to go back. All of my friends that Graduated with me are not having the best of times in the States. I am not going to fall into the trap of the grass is always greener syndrome.

RobertFL
18th Mar 2004, 10:31
I was just thinking that since you complaining you should go back, I myself moved from europe 15 years ago and going back to europe this or next year, from what I see it is easier to get into aviation in europe right now then states, not mention life style and vacation time

Jaydee27
18th Mar 2004, 17:05
Everyday you're helping people follow their dreams...and doing a really good job ;)

FLYbyWIT
18th Mar 2004, 20:55
Yep, I will definately second that.;)