PDA

View Full Version : Challenging Virus Problem

My names Turkish
14th Mar 2004, 01:03
Ok, I'll try and give all the experts as much advice as possible. A friend just had a new hard disk and power supply fitted after a suspected power surge. Nice chap in computer shop installed this so I am *presuming* this is not the problem.

Friend did not run any virus scanner or firewall(I know, I thought the same). When the new hard disk was installed what was left on the old hard disk was put on the new one.

The problem is that now that I have harrased him into buying a Norton package that it keeps freezing/crashing after about 10 mins of scanning and always at the same place. Other operations on the computer are fine, like using the Net word docs etc. There is the odd crash or freeze though.

I ran the Trend Micro online scnner and it turned up nothing, but a freeware registry checker says I have trojan rvp. The file that Norton freezes on is windows/drivers_cache/i386 I htink it was.

What I really want to do is let Norton run all the way through without it crashing so I at least no if its a virus or a hardware problem. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome...

amanoffewwords
14th Mar 2004, 01:30
Have you tried running the scan with Windows in safe mode?

Also try running the Stinger (http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/) from McAfee (also best run in Windows safe mode). It eradicates the 40 or so more malicious viruses that are in circulation (but alas not the virus writers)...

In both cases you need to disable windows systems restore if the windows version is Me or XP.

Cheers
Amofw

Naples Air Center, Inc.
14th Mar 2004, 03:47
My names Turkish,

One other option would be to scan the Hard Drive from another computer, if it is on a network. If he does not have a network, then you could always pull out the hard drive and connect it to the Ribbon with the Optical Drive on another computer, which has Norton, and scan it there.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. If the computer is crashing, it is not a good sign to begin with and a fresh install of his OS, might be in order.