PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Choice

davey147
13th Mar 2004, 22:10
Hi,

I have a post in the new forum at www.aviationfind.com I think its that new they dont have many members. I would appreciate it if people went there and replyied to my post, as i think that forum is excelant, ive never seen a forum run so fast, id like to know what servers their using.

Anyway i'll post it here too.

I am planing on getting my PPL this summer and would like to know what aircraft is the best to learn in either the C152 or the Piper Warrior.

The C152 is slightly cheaper.

Hope people will post on the other site, but either way thanks.

Dave

Pilot Pete
13th Mar 2004, 22:41
ive never seen a forum run so fast, id like to know what servers their using.

I think its that new they dont have many members

I suspect, although I am no expert, but the second quote above could account for the speed mentioned in the first quote!;)

i think that forum is excelant

Does beg the question why if there is no one on it?

As for which aircraft, well, I'd just go for the cheapest myself(especially if you are going to go commercial). Warrior 'feels' a bit more like a real aeroplane, but the 152 is a great machine to learn in.

Have fun.

PP

Send Clowns
14th Mar 2004, 05:05
Robin HR200! OK, so I teach in it and so would say that, but I learnt, and learnt to instruct, in a 152 which is a great training aircraft (easy to fly safely, difficult to fly well) but I just love the feel of a responsive aircraft with a stick and the Robin 200 is so much fun to fly.

Of your choices it depends what you want to do. If you just want to tour and enjoy comfortable flying fly the PA28. The C-152 will make you a better pilot though, for the reason given above.

Hare O Plane
14th Mar 2004, 18:30
If you want a stable platform to learn in then a PA28. Nice and easy to fly, friendly and forgiving if you get it wrong.

If you want something a bit more challenging to fly then a 152 will do the trick.

Personally I'd take the PA28. I teach on both types so I can appreciate the pros and cons of either aeroplane. A lot of it boils down to the one you feel happier in. If you're only just starting out, then I'd have a little trip in both and see which one you like.

Our club also operates a Katana. Bit fun getting in but very responsive, and introduces a constant speed prop. I like it as a trainer.

Happy landings
HOP

Andy_R
15th Mar 2004, 17:48
Or a PA 38 : generally same price as 152, but will get you used to fuel management for when you do want the larger PA 28.

Also has the low wing which you may prefer to the high wing Cessna's. Try both and see which you prefer.

Send Clowns
15th Mar 2004, 18:07
I have never flown the PA38, so I am not directly qualified to judge, but I have also heard few positive comments about the experience. Is it not known as the "Traumahawk" for good reason? Apparently a spin can be quite alarming, especially for those unwise enough to look at the tail during the excercise.