PDA

View Full Version : Any VB .NET developers out there?

Onan the Clumsy
13th Mar 2004, 21:31
I'm doing a course to get an MCSD in .NET as my background is mainframe and I think it's time to retool. (and I still don't have a job :( )

Think it's a good choice?

Rugz
13th Mar 2004, 22:45
.Net roles are definately increasing at the moment, and some are even saying that it's going to make a serious challenge to Java in the not so distant future.

VB .Net is a good one to re-tool on, but I would also look at ASP .Net (for web-based applications and web design).

.Net is probably the way forward so it can't do you any harm. What sort of work are you looking for and where are you based?

Onan the Clumsy
14th Mar 2004, 03:25
What sort of work are you looking for and where are you based? Work that pays and Dallas Texas.

That was a flippant answer, but not entirely incorrect. I'm looking for a good income to replace the one I had coding in Natural/Adabas on the mainframe and I'd like it to be mentally challenging. Also, I want to work with/for knowledgeable people as I've had my fill working for talentles hacks. My time is too precious for that.

As for the industry/application type, It really doesn't matter as it'll be interesting to learn about a new one. I'm not too bothered about the size of the company, I just want to work with smart people.

Why d'you ask?

Rugz
14th Mar 2004, 06:36
Just that I have had quite a few calls from UK agencies recently for .Net development roles and I was going to point you in their direction. However, seeing as you are based in Texas they may not prove that useful.

Good luck in finding something new though!

Timothy
14th Mar 2004, 08:56
Our next developer recruit(s) will almost certainly be .NET, both VB and ASP, probably VB first.

Timothy

Onan the Clumsy
14th Mar 2004, 10:20
Well that's reassuring. Thanks Rugz. Thanks Timothy too.

I got .NET Visual Studio with an academic discount (,NET? :p) and I'm about to load it on my laptop. I'll keep you posted.