PDA

View Full Version : Engineers for disaster relief

Genghis the Engineer
13th Mar 2004, 20:23
I don't know if this interests anybody, and I've nothing to do with them personally, but I've been aware for a while of a charity called "RedR" who maintain a register of Engineers and other professionals prepared to help (unpaid so far as I know) with disaster relief.

Having a browse in response to an article in Professional Engineering I came across a list of professions they'd like to have on their register here (http://www.redr.org/getinvolved/joining/list_professions.htm) .

No aeronautics there (not sure why, I'd have thought having a pool of aircraft and airport Engineers able to deploy to the available airports in a disaster area would be quite valuable), but lots of other engineering professions, and clearly worthwile.

Not sure about "mine clearance" though, doesn't sound like a profession with much of a future to me :ooh:

Just thought I'd share that.

G

mini
20th Mar 2004, 01:55
GtE

RedR are a very respected organisation who are a valuble source of excellent people to humanitarian agencies.

When such agencies use air assets they tend to contract an all in service, i.e. we need X capability from Y, all included. Therefore the a/c suppliers will organise engineering.

Hence, no vacancies with RedR.

mini :ok:

Genghis the Engineer
20th Mar 2004, 14:25
On that subject, I have wondered why there isn't a nonreligious charity providing aviation support to humanitarian work. Whilst I've nothing but respect for the work of MAF, as a non-christian I'd effectively be excluded from doing anything to help, and certainly christians have no monopoly upon either compassion or ability.

As an open question, is there a need out there for some form of "aviation sans frontiers" that could provide permanent air assets for humanitarian programmes that might benefit but would struggle to afford their own?

Just a thought, and not to denegrate the excellent work of RedR (or any other NGO) or the approach that they're currently taking.

G

eng123
22nd Mar 2004, 20:57
Go-on Genghis,sign up for the mine clearance team.Plleeeessee!:D :D

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Mar 2004, 09:43
Only if you'll come and hold my tools for me whilst I'm working.

G