PDA

View Full Version : Question for pilots from a Ramp rat

RampDog
13th Mar 2004, 19:22
Ok, I'm a ground service agent and I see you guys doing your walkarounds during the course of the day.
If I want to get the atttention of a Four striper and I don't know his name I call out, Captain! or Skipper! or maybe Boss. But if I see a Three striper doing the walk around, how do I get his attention without just yelling out "hey mate"?
How do you address each other on the flight deck, is it mostly informal (i.e. first names) or strictly business?
Just asking from a courtesy point of view, as I think, showing a bit of respect if not too old fashioned (or is it?).

RampDog

redsnail
13th Mar 2004, 19:56
Good question. :D
Our Aboriginal cousins usually just yell out "hey Pahlot" if they are being formal, or "hey you puckin pahlot" if not. :cool:

In the companies I have worked for it is informal. First names or nicknames as the case may be. (For PA's it is formal, title and surname)

To be honest, if a ramp guy called out "hey mate" to me I wouldn't find it offensive. "oi, you sh!t head"might make me rethink that though. :ok:

woftam
13th Mar 2004, 23:15
RampDog,
You wouldn't see too many F/O's doing the walkaround I wouldn't think would you? (unless it's raining !)
Usually they are up in the cockpit beavering away with the FMC and T/O data while the Captain has a little stroll and goes back up when the work's all done.
I take my time on the walkaround so there's not too much left to do once I get back. :O
Something difficult might come up, so best not to be there!
To answer your question though, I'm sure there's not too many that would mind being simply addressed as "mate".
:ok:

DirectAnywhere
14th Mar 2004, 03:51
"Hey mate" works just fine for me. I'm never outside though...:D

RampDog
14th Mar 2004, 22:13
If I'm not sure, I don't hesitate to call a pilot "mate", because in general no true Aussie would be offended.
I only ask , as sometimes I might see a lady doing the walk around and I wouldn't hesitate in calling her "mate"( but seems kinda odd!). "Madam" or "Ma-am" would be a bit too formal.
Also if I'm refuelling JAL, Asiana, Korean or Gulf Air etc, I know they probably prefer a more formal approach.
That said, mostly it is the Captain doing the walkaround, but totally not uncommon to see FO, especially at VB.
How is this duty shared? Is the "pilot flying" doing the paperwork, while the "pilot not flying" does the inspection or otherwise?

Animalclub
15th Mar 2004, 00:52
In my days on the ramp I found that "Excuse me Sir/Ma'm" to the pilot was a good ice breaker. They usually end up giving you their first name.
RampDog proves that courtesy isn't dead - good on yer.

tinpis
15th Mar 2004, 01:26
In the good old days before all this CRM bollox a Captain would have been able to tell his FO he was a ********.

Now it a requirement to ask.."I think its possible you may be a ******** , what do you think?"

Bring back the lash.

Keg
15th Mar 2004, 04:31
RD, depends on the aircraft type. For the B767 and the B744, it's the Captain's job although often delegated to the S/O if we've got one. For the classic it's the F/Es job. I know that there have been times when I've done the walk around either because I've wanted to or there was some other reason- and not just 'rain'. ;)

I know that I've watched F/Os do it on the 737 although I don't know if that's just because they wanted to or whether it is a PF role. Nor sure of the A330 either. They do tend to split it ALL into PF and PNF so it wouldn't surprise me if it was a PF job to do the walk around!

Hope that helps.

RampDog
15th Mar 2004, 09:31
Thanks for the replies
ANimalclub, courtesy does go a long way, regardless of who we are dealing with. People are in so much of a hurry nowadays that they tend to forget basic manners. I know that most people involved in the airline business like to think of themselves as professional (me included I guess), so naturally respect should be in order.
Tinpis, if your stuck on the flight deck with someone you really don't give a toss about, do you ignore them (except for the important bits) or do you fake it and force yourself to be convivial towards him/her. Must get awkward at FL33!
Keg, thanks for your info, I know that with Aussie crews, she's always apples, and with the international crews I tend to stick to the more formal approach just to be safe.
Funny thing the other day, though, I nodded to the Chinese (looking)skipper of CI52, a China Airlines A340 and he came up and asked me "Howya goin' mate" in perfect Aussie. This was the surprise - he had grown up in Hurstville,Sydney and learnt to fly here and he was a St. George (footy) fan.
The world sure is a village.

lame
16th Mar 2004, 05:11
Why on Earth would you even speak to the China Airlines Captain. :(

A St George fan. :mad:

Now if he was a Broncos fan I could understand it.... ;) :ok: