PDA

View Full Version : Zonealrm going wild

phnuff
13th Mar 2004, 17:14
Folks, I just wanted to find out if anyone had come across this.
I have found that the machine I use as a network server (windows XP home/zonealarm pro 4.5.538.001/Nortons antivirus) suddenly goes very slow. Investigation shows that VSMON (part of Zonealarm) is suddenly running wild and using about 99% of cpu. Stopping and starting ZA sorts it out until the next time. I can find no real reason for this except the observation that it seems to happen after a period of relatively long user inactivity on the machine (5-6 hrs).

I have dragged all over the ZA site, but although a number of people have reported it, ZA appear to have made no comment themselves. I have found a couple of suggestions - ZA themselves suggest corrupt log files, but I think I can rule that out as I have cleared mine. The other suggestion based on a registry change (which I have not yet tried), but which apparently slows down the startup of ZA - which is another interesting thing in that the current ZA now seems to take an age to initialise the True Vector agent (VSMON).

Does anyone have any thoughts ?

Caslance
13th Mar 2004, 17:55
Hmmm....I use ZoneAlarm Pro myself and I've noticed that it seems to take longer to start up these days.

I've also noticed that the Cache Cleaner has become very slow indeed.

Most peculiar........:suspect:

OzPax1
14th Mar 2004, 14:13
They must be about to release an 'upgrade'! :E