PDA

View Full Version : West is Best?????

locknut
13th Mar 2004, 13:39
Hello fellow aviators, I think it is time for me to take the step from my well loved and highly decorated position as a flight instructor to something a little more appealing... a charter pilot HOPEFULLY!

However, I am unsure where the best place is to go.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated, as I will be leaving in approximately 4 weeks.

750TT
CIR
Gr2

redsnail
13th Mar 2004, 19:51
Grab the yellow pages online and look for charter operators. Sit down and give them a call. In other words, find out the names of chief pilots etc before you set off. Also, most will tell you if you have half a chance of getting a start in their operation. From there you'll know where you don't have to go. (However, for the future it may be useful. Always think at least 2 steps ahead).
Plan your move. When search is functioning you'll find out what do take etc.
I don't know what types you have your 750 hours on. Make sure your medical, IR, Dangerous goods cert and the like are up to date before you go.
Many of the well known scenic spots probably have 20 or so pilots there already. Most of them probably have about 200 hours or so. Hence the need to call. Do you have twin training approval? That can be very useful to an operator. Some charter companies do have flying schools attached. Don't groan, you'll still get plenty of charter work.
Usual places are Kakadu, Kununurra, Broome, Karratha, Whitsunday's. Get online and start calling and planning.

locknut
14th Mar 2004, 05:42
Thanks sooo much for you tips redsnail, it will truly come in handy!

Most of my time is on PA28(R)/C152, I don't have twin training approval (half way there) but have endorsements on PA44, BE95/55/58, PA23, PA34 and PA31.

So where did you go once you decided it was time to move?

redsnail
14th Mar 2004, 07:16
if I were you mate, I would get that twin training approval. It will stand you in good stead so long as who is training you knows what they are doing.

It is useful, do phone around, it is a pain in the arse to be stuck with the bill but cheaper than petrol.

Good luck. :D

redsnail
14th Mar 2004, 17:51
The main single is the venerable C206/7/10.

I went to Kununurra. I got there in Feb (1994) and got a start in June 94. Other places are worth a look too. Hall's Creek, Derby, Broome.
I was pretty lucky. There were about 50 pilots in town for basicly 2 jobs at the time. Eventually, another couple of guys got taken on too at the end of the season. :ok:

locknut
14th Mar 2004, 22:30
Thanks redsnail!! I suppose you are reaping the rewards now eh :cool:

The Voice
14th Mar 2004, 22:45
locknut .. Reddo is travelling in MUCH wider circles these days ... on the other side of the world .. bless her!

redsnail
15th Mar 2004, 10:10
Reaping the rewards? Hmm. I should be soon. :D
Persistance is the key to success in this industry.