PDA

View Full Version : LGW - 5 "Initial" Security Officers Arrested For Theft

bealine
12th Mar 2004, 15:49
I am very sad to report that, according to

http://www.teletext.co.uk/news/story.asp?intArticleID=62382&intarticlenumber=2&intRegionID=17&intSubsectionID=1&From=I&indent=30

NEWS STORY

AIRPORT SECURITY MEN ARRESTED
Seven security officers at Gatwick Airport have been arrested on suspicion of stealing goods worth £50,000 from passengers' bags.

The men, aged 23 to 44, are employed by Initial Security to screen bags at the North Terminal for suspicious items.

Dozens of laptop computers, mobiles, digital and video cameras, watches and CDs have been recovered amid the probe.

RECEIVED: 12/03/2004 04:37:35

I would state that Initial Security, however, don't screen British Airways' baggage - that is carried out by Securicor. Similarly, the "men in green" are not implicated in any way!

I'm just ashamed that these ba**ards were at Gatwick!

redsnail
13th Mar 2004, 19:23
Heathrow and Gatwick aren't called Thiefrow and Gatnick for nothing. :*

PAXboy
14th Mar 2004, 00:50
I think that these things are cyclical. After a bust like this, everyone is careful and mgmt watches more carefully. After three years, folks have moved on and it starts up again, two years or so after that, it has reached epidemic proportions and the mgmt call in the old bill and there is a bust ... :rolleyes:

Paul Wilson
14th Mar 2004, 22:36
Have a contact who was working for Initial last week, and they were somewhat annoyed to find out that said thieves had been under surveilace for about 18 months.

I imagine it was a case of police surveilance to ensure no terroist type activity/they are doing their jobs right, and therefore it was a bit tricky to bust them, as it would make other surveilance targets more wary.

Still if you've lost something valuable from Gatwick you now know where it is.