View Full Version : Sorry, another accreditation question (Beags?)

Cattivo
12th Mar 2004, 14:13
Regarding the QSP accreditation for the ATPL(A), I've done the Air Law exam and passed the Class One Medical. I've got 2000 hrs+ total flying but am just short of the 1000 hrs PIC (which I should get in a few months). Can I sit the IRT and then wait for the hours to accumulate before applying for the license? I know self-improvers get a frozen ATPL, does this apply to QSPs?

I have asked the CAA but am still awaiting a response.

navoff
12th Mar 2004, 21:13
The answer is in LASORs 2004 section D3. Firstly you need a minimum of 2000 hours flying experience on military a/c, including at least 1500 hours as Pilot-in-command (1st pilot, captain) (maximum 500 hours PIC/US or co-pilot) on recognised ME aeroplanes. Instrument Rating Requirements. It is not mandatory for a QSP(A) to obtain an IR before being issued with a CPL(A). unless he is applying for a type rating for multi-pilot type.

However, QSPs should be aware that to preserve the validity of the ATPL theorectical knowledge credits for the subsequent issue of an ATPL(A), both a CPL (A) and (IR) (A) must be obtained within the 36 month acceptance period of the examinations.

Apparently you can also look at www.tgda.gov.uk hope this helps!

Cattivo
12th Mar 2004, 22:35
Thanks for the info Navoff. I am aware of the criteria for gaining the license, I just need to know whether I can sit the IRT before I've got the hours (maybe I'm being dull and I've missed it in the reams legislation).

BEagle
13th Mar 2004, 02:28
Sorry for the late reply - over in the land of Der Kastenkopf for the last few days!

As far as I can see, the only mandatory requirement is for you to have completed the theoretical exam (which you have) before taking the IR Skill Test. If I were you, I'd contact Simon White (and no-one else) at the CAA and explain that, due to operational circumstances you wish to book the IR now even though you won't have achieved the 1000 hrs P1C until whenever - but you'll submit everything once you have. I expect that this'll be OK - but it is a bit of a gamble doing it that way round unless you've literally only got another 50 or so hours to achieve.

Cattivo
14th Mar 2004, 01:02
Thanks for that Beags, a font of knowledge as usual.

BEagle
14th Mar 2004, 02:03
Keine Prob!

By the way, are you aware that military taxiing time may be included? See LASORS ( www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/lasors.pdf )Section A Appendix B page 39.

navoff
14th Mar 2004, 04:50
Cattivo

I'm sorry I miss read your hours qualification as a PIC. But what I was really trying to say without making it very clear was that I believe you can take the IRT now. Once you have the hours you apply for the issue of the ATPL with all the relevant certification, just complete it before 3 years of the exam.

buoy15
14th Mar 2004, 21:54
Cattivo
Wouldn't you be better off on a Civvy thread where people know the answers?

BEagle
15th Mar 2004, 06:12
buoy15, why should civilians know what accreditation rights have been granted to military pilots? Many have no idea of the difference between a licence and a rating, or the difference between revalidation, renewal, reissue or reauthorisation.

Cattivo
16th Mar 2004, 07:38
Nuff said on that one I think. Thanks for the info guys.