PDA

View Full Version : Cal X Eva ???

JoeJack
12th Mar 2004, 05:36
Hello..

I've been reading quite a lot about CAL, but almost nothing about EVA. Have been considering applying for any of them... would really like to know good and bad points about both of them. Specially regarding leave policies and salary/package.

Any inputs greatly appreciated!!!

Thanx!!

IBTheseus
22nd Mar 2004, 02:35
From what I hear about EVA, their recruitment only just keeps up with those leaving. EVA's promotion is even less certain than it is at CAL. If you employ pilots with high experience, then they get a little dispondent if their experience is not respected. The employment market is quite boyant at the moment.

From what I hear, the actual job at EVA is fine. The pay is done differently to CAL, but it all ends up at a similar figure. Both are commuting jobs if that is what you want. At EVA you are housed in the EVA compound. Security cameras watching you arrive, and leave. CAL gives you the allowance so you choose where to live.

At CAL, there is enough promotion for expats, and locals, yet the military punishment culture is a enormous hand brake for ex pats. Again, CAL has employed those with high experience, yet do not respect that experience. There is a consistant trickle of pilots at CAL leaving for greener pastures. I'm just not sure at the moment which side of the fence the cows have sh@t on.

Taikonaut
22nd Mar 2004, 15:52
A good friend of mine just joined EVA, he said easier commute for him.

Heard that the upgrade to the left seat is about 10 years. He's a young guy so that doesn't seem to be a problem but otherwise I can see why there is a mention of a slow but constant attrition rate.:rolleyes:

Pay is not all that great either when compared to other outfits that hire foreigners but whatever works.

middlepath
23rd Mar 2004, 18:38
Dont know about cal, but EVA is OK. The pay is lower side but the company treats staff ok, well maintained aircraft and good destinations. downside: cabin and flt deck in different hotels.
job security is there.

Shintaro9
26th Mar 2004, 14:25
Middlepath,

I find it rather odd. If things are cool in EVA, how come there are many EVA pilots applying to join CAL? :confused:

I agree with the destinations though. Wish CAL had some of those.

As with cabin crew, well, it's a matter of decision making. Her hotel or yours.

Hope it's yours. Cheers!! :)

middlepath
26th Mar 2004, 15:26
shintaro
I am not uptodate with eva pilots applying @ cal. atraction to cal might be quicker command prospects, quite a large number of expat F/O at eva are 40+ with loads of hours.regarding hotel you are spot on. I still think eva is not a bad company.