PDA

View Full Version : Amusing Windows error message

Evo
12th Mar 2004, 01:47
Changing passwords has got to be done, but it's a pain, right? And it's not made any easier with this gem of an error message from Win2k

Your password must be at least 18770 characters and cannot repeat any of your previous 30689 passwords. Please type a different password. Type a password that meets these requirements in both text boxes.

:* :{

Turns out it's a known issue

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q276304

but still, it made me laugh after a day messing around with authentication :confused: :)

amanoffewwords
12th Mar 2004, 02:08
Reminds me one time when I was formatting a 100GB drive - the estimated time left to completion showed 3,500,000 minutes.

It actually took 2 hours as I recall - on a PIII/Windows me machine ... must have been going at 100rmp..

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Mar 2004, 05:56
Evo,

Just be glad it does not make you type it in each time to get into Windows. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

Timothy
12th Mar 2004, 07:19
My three favourite error messages of all time, all of which I have seen, are:

ERR501: No Keyboard. Press any key to continue

MY boss John says that there are absolutely no circumstances under which you will ever get to see this error message

User Error. Change user and try again

Timothy

Evo
12th Mar 2004, 15:02
Very Big IT company that shall remain nameless ('cos I work for it :) ). Very Big customer, looking to spend Very Big money on a Very Big computer. Demonstration in full swing, when Very Big computer locks up with the message "You lose big time, sucker!"... d'oh :rolleyes: :{ explaining that one was fun :*

(although I must admit that i've had a service call when code I wrote threw an Exception saying "you should never see this Exception" - it seems there really are JREs that don't support ASCII... :* )

edit: and there's the classic UNIX "Printer port on fire" error message :ok: