PDA

View Full Version : Dispatcher's duties?

witchdoctor
11th Mar 2004, 22:42
Hi all,

Forgive a rather stupid question, but as the search function is disabled at the mo I can't find out.

What exactly does a dispatcher do, and what extra duties might you be reasonably expected to undertake?

I've recently applied for a number of positions up at my local airport with various companies, and I've been invited for an interview for a seasonal dispatch position. However, I've never worked at an airport before so I have no experience of exactly what the job entails, only a rough idea.

Does anyone have the patience to help?:O

Who'stheDaddy
11th Mar 2004, 23:06
If its seasonal work I take it you'll be doing Ground Dispatch:
Depending on how the company works your duties will be:

*Load Planning
*Weight/Balance (manual/computerised)
*Co-ordination of all ground services
-Cleaners, fuellers, Ramp team, Caterers, Maintenance etc
*Communication between A/C and Ops dept ie delays
*Supervise (de)boarding/Gate Staff
*Parking Stand checks - FOD etc
*Airbridge driving
*Dangerous goods acceptance
*Calculation of ZFW's
*DfT Security paper work - Baggage reconciliation
*Headset during pushback - Final checks sure (all doors shut etc - now mostly done by ramp depts or engineering)

Basically you manage all the aspects of the turnaround procedure within the alloted times - Emphasis on safety..... and then less important things like on time performance,( some airlines like to get these confused)

The new title for it is Turnaround Co-ordinator or i think some company recently called it Airside health and safety manager.

You may just be a paper runner where your company has a centralized load planning dept. The job is no less important though, you will still need the appropriate knowledge to make sure that any decisions made are correct and that information is passed correctly between yourself and the loading team thru to CLP.

Theres prob lots that i've forgotten but if you work for a handling agent they'll expect you to do a whole lot more and put up with a load of s**t that you wont get paid for.

It was a good job though.... I really enjoyed it most of the time!

WTD

speedbird_heavy
11th Mar 2004, 23:56
With Servisair the dispatch role includes as follows

*Co-ordination of all ground services
-Cleaners, fuellers, Ramp team, Caterers, Maintenance etc
*Communication between A/C and Ops dept ie delays
*Supervise (de)boarding/Gate Staff
*Parking Stand checks - FOD etc
*Airbridge driving
*DfT Security paper work - Baggage reconciliation (tripple A)

Although some dispatchers are load control trained and are therefor allowed to plan loads and sign load sheets.

witchdoctor
12th Mar 2004, 15:25
Thanks folks,

Pprune comes up trumps again.:ok:

Sounds like it could be fun - if nothing else, it will be nice to get back to doing something useful at last!

I'll let you know how I get on at the interview.

jmc757
13th Mar 2004, 05:30
Good luck in your interviews!! its tough work for not great pay but I'm sure you'll love it!! I did, even the really sh*t days can be good fun!!

Who'stheDaddy's list is exactly right (minus the headset where I worked). Although there are a hell of a lot of little jobs you may have to do depending on how well the days going! I was known to throw bags from time to time among other things!! :ok:

Capt Wannabe
16th Mar 2004, 20:04
Quite often you will have to agree the delay codes with the airline rep or Captain. This can be a political minefield, but can also prove to be an interesting exercise in apportioning blame.

speedbird_heavy
16th Mar 2004, 20:36
We just allocate the dispatcher his own delay code. Usually from 101 upwards......:p

93 is proberbly the most used

redfield
16th Mar 2004, 20:52
Witchdoctor - curious to know which airport you're being interviewed at.....also, I've got a silly question. Should dispatchers who are NOT load control trained be signing computerised loadsheets?????:confused:

witchdoctor
17th Mar 2004, 07:14
Redfield,

I'll be starting at Newcastle with Servisair on the 29th.

Hmmm, tact and diplomacy eh? Wonder how long I'll last?:O :}

Thanks for the help folks.

Who'stheDaddy
17th Mar 2004, 08:18
Redfield,

Not too sure what you mean by "not load control trained"!

When signing a loadsheet from a CLP dept. you are signing that:
*Details on top line are correct, i.e. Date, Reg, Flt no, A/C type, Config, crew etc are all correct.
*All figures are correct - Fuel, TOB, baggage etc
*You are also signing that the load distribution is correct i.e. that the A/C has been loaded in accordance to the relevant Loading Instruction report.

Any anomolies should be corrected by yourself by getting a new loadsheet or by doing an LMC (up to LMC limits - and taking into account C of G effect)

This was my point earlier - If any changes have been made they must be properly communicated from the ramp via you to CLP. If you are not involved in the Mass/Balance side of things directcly ( a central load planning operation) you should still have the knowledge to understand what you are signing and any changes you are authorising.

Loadsheets from CLP are considered to have an electronic signiture (which you are counter-signing) but your job is to make sure that it is correct - Even if the loadsheet is delivered via ACARS.

WTD

redfield
17th Mar 2004, 09:44
WTD: Some handling operations at some airports allow a dispatcher who hasn't been on a load control course (ie. doesn't know how to produce a computerised loadsheet) and hasn't been trained in drop-line loadsheets, to sign a computerised loadsheet to say it's correct. Other airports' handling operations don't allow such dispatchers to sign anything "because they're not trained and therefore can't take responsibility for it," which is quite right in my view. Perish the thought, IF an incident was to occur during take-off, who would be held responsible? The load controller who built the loadsheet, or the dispatcher (who isn't l/c trained) who actually signed it???:uhoh:

speedbird_heavy
17th Mar 2004, 11:39
Redfield hit the nail on the head with regards to Servisair (non load control) dispatchers.

Basically Ops create the load sheet/load plan and digitally sign it i.e. put their name on the sheet, as loadsheets need to be signed by the person who created it and the captain.

If you are ever asked to sign a loadsheet you didnt create OR LMC a load sheet (and you are not LC trained) refuse point blank. Its not worth it should anything happen. Most captains will LMC the load sheet for you except the odd one who thinks he is god and will demand a new loadsheet to be created.

Good luck as you will enjoy it. It can be a cusshy number aswell

redfield
17th Mar 2004, 20:13
speedbird_heavy - check you private messages on this subject.
:ok:

kiltedrebel
25th Mar 2004, 13:45
Ramp Dispatcher is probably one of the best jobs you can do at the airport. Working for Servisair will allow you scope to get to work on a huge variety of a/c too. You will be the focal point for all staff involved in the turnaround. You will need to be able to communicate at every level too...pompous flight deck, finicky cabin crew, hairy-arsed baggage handlers....Even on a bad day, it's still pretty damn good!

Oh and BTW, the Loadsheet must only be signed by someone who can confirm that the aircraft has been loaded safely and in accordance with standard loading for that a/c, as well as any LMC's...you must be trained on Load Control to some degree.

BEST L/CONTROLLER
25th Mar 2004, 18:11
With regard to the signing of Load Sheets.

All dispatchers should be aware of basic weight & balance, but as WTD said earlier, weather you've been on the course or not, you are only signing that the a/c has been loaded in accordance with the Load Sheet & LIR, and making sure that the Loadsheet is realavant for that flight.

Dispatchers at LBA have copies of all a/c DOW's & DOI's so they can check all that information, also check that the fuel figures are correct, the Load Control Course is only for people who are becoming Load Controllers and people who soley produce Load Sheets.

Also I agree, Ground Dispatch is a great job, somedays in force 10 Gales and snow and sleat, it's a pain in the Arse but all in all it's a good job.

CHEERS!!!!!!!!:ok::ok:

ohitsmonday
25th Mar 2004, 21:24
To thread starter,
Previous threads give a good insight to what is involved and it's one of the best jobs going. Enjoy.
As for signing the loadsheet.....don't do it!!!!!!!
The loadsheet is signed by person producing it and the capt/fo. Someone who is not fully w&b trained SHOULD NOT SIGN THE LOADSHEET.

I haven't got the JAA/CAA requirements for loadsheet responsibilities to hand, but if there are any questions on the above I am very happy to answer them in due course.

witchdoctor
26th Mar 2004, 08:21
Just as a matter of interest, what would you consider W&B trained?

I've passed the JAA W&B theory exam for issue of a CPL, so presumably I'm as 'trained' as the flight crew, if not as experienced. What additional training would there be for loadsheet completion, bearing in mind I won't actually be loading the a/c, so don't need to be a load controller?

nibor
27th Mar 2004, 15:24
There seems to be a little confusion here...

Firstly,
only people qualified in W+B can PRODUCE a DCS loadsheet, which should be electronically signed by them. This job is usually done by a loadcontroller where handling agents are involved.

Secondly,
there is the function of traffic officer. This is the person who's legal responsibility is to confirm that the aircraft is loaded as per the loadsheet. This is done by checking that the aircraft data is correct (DOW, DOI, crew config etc.) and also making sure that the LI/R matches the loadsheet. Obviously this can only be done by someone who is actually at the aircraft. The traffic officer is then also required to countersign the loadsheet to confirm that it is an accurate representation of the actual load, after ajusting it by use of the LMC section, if required.

Any dispatcher who does not wish to countersign a loadsheet either does not know if the aircraft is loaded correctly and therefore is risking the safety of all on board or is unable to accept the responibility the position requires and should not be in the job in the first place.

Just to recap.

1. the person producing the loadsheet should sign it (electronically for DCS).

2. the loadsheet must be checked and countersigned by someone who can confirm that it matches the actual loaded state of the aircraft.

3. the captain must sign it to state that he/she accepts it (also known as authorising)

Have a nice day now.

Who'stheDaddy
27th Mar 2004, 17:04
I thought that is what I had said in my earlier posts by explaining the load control / traffic officer roles and also questioning not "W/B trained". I have worked in CLP and as a L/C and also worked on contracts where I acted just as a traffic officer. In every company I worked for there was always a mass/balance course. However for some of these places i use the term "training" loosely. But on the other side of the coin I had some excellent training on behalf of LH, BA, (some very good colleagues) and self study.

As NIBOR says:
"Any dispatcher who does not wish to countersign a loadsheet either does not know if the aircraft is loaded correctly and therefore is risking the safety of all on board or is unable to accept the responibility the position requires and should not be in the job in the first place."

The job of a T/O (or ground dispatcher if you prefer) is to make sure that the A/C is loaded as per the LIR and Loadsheet because CLP are not there to see it. Therefore you should obviously have received some sort of training!
Personally I believe that CLP is inferior to having a dedicated dispatcher (appropriatley trained!!) allocated to each flight who personally prepares the Loadsheet!
---*see my earlier posts*--

The problem is that the job is being "dumbed" down mainly by the handling agents in an effort to pay peanuts and cut back on training costs.

WTD

speedbird_heavy
27th Mar 2004, 21:00
Any dispatcher who does not wish to countersign a loadsheet either does not know if the aircraft is loaded correctly and therefore is risking the safety of all on board or is unable to accept the responibility the position requires and should not be in the job in the first place.

Funny how the DFT havn't pulled us up over that.

I think what you are refering to is the LIR or Loadplan. This details how the load is loaded onto the aircraft. Yes the weight in each hold must tally with that on the Loadsheet but the loadsheet is only to be signed by the person who created it and the captain.

I have NEVER been asked to sign a loadsheet that I have not created and I will continue to do my job this way. If the loadsheet is wrong, you dont spot it and things go tits up, your name will be on that loadsheet.

BEST L/CONTROLLER
27th Mar 2004, 22:54
The reason the Dispatcher is checking the LoadSheet and signing it is to stop things from going tits up in the first place, trust me, if there is a problem with the Load sheet and you havn't check it correctly then the Dispatcher is ultimatley to blame, from past experiences, if the captain receives an incorrect Loadsheet then the blame will be on the Dispatcher Not the Load Controller, because it shouldn't have got as far as the captain if that was the case, the dispatchers role without any doubt is to make sure that all a/c he/she does are SAFE and this means checking checking checking and double checking everything again and this means countersigning Loadsheets, each company has their own legeslation when it comes to the procedures of a Dispatcher but evey companyshould have the same procedure of SAFTEY.

CHEERS!!!!!!!

:ok:

speedbird_heavy
28th Mar 2004, 08:49
Yes the load sheet gets checked. But as I have said I have never been asked to sign a LS I that I did not create. The DFT have no problem with this, the CAA have no problem with this nor do Servisair. If they did then the station I work from would have been closed down a long time ago.

BEST L/CONTROLLER
30th Mar 2004, 12:56
The DFT, CAA, SERVISAIR don't have a problem with what!???

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!:ok:

Confirmed Must Ride
30th Mar 2004, 15:07
On the bottom of our loadplans it clearly states:

I certify that this cargo load plan has been executed and loading verified in accordance with company policy.

Then there is a space for the ramp lead to sign off with emp number.

This is then stored with the loadsheet (load sheet only signed by the loadplanner responsible) and kept on file.

speedbird_heavy
30th Mar 2004, 16:54
BEST L/CONTROLLER

Not signing a loadsheet/loadplan that I did not create as you pointed out above.

Confirmed Must Ride

We operate the same system as yourself.

Bullman
31st Mar 2004, 07:19
Hi, whilst we are the subject of Despatchers, can anyone tell me if Servisair or any other handling agent at Bristol are recruiting at present ?

speedbird_heavy
31st Mar 2004, 08:11
Hi, whilst we are the subject of Despatchers, can anyone tell me if Servisair or any other handling agent at Bristol are recruiting at present ?

Proberbly not dispatch, but they are taking on checkin staff. Most of servisair's dispatchers started of on the checkin, but if you are lucky, because of the higher number of flights during the summer season, you could get a 6 month dispatch postion.

BEST L/CONTROLLER
31st Mar 2004, 13:26
Wth regard to Servisair not having a problem with it I beg to differ, I think you should check the training manual,

The dispatcher is supposed to tick the-REG/DATE/FLT NO/CREW CONFIG/ AND I'M SURE THERE ARE OTHERS, and then the dispatcher signs for all he's ticked, in otherwords countersigning it, obviously all responsibility is on the person who produced it, but I can go back a number of years when SABENA/AIR EUROPA/FUTURA/SPANAIR all the foreign airlines and beleive it or not Airtours at the time the captains used to turn around and say can you sign this loadsheet coz they didn't like accepting loadsheets with electronic signatures coz anyone can put a name there,

MY job is basically a load controller as you can probably gues with my username, now if I dispatch a flt i'll always sign the loadsheet weather or not I produced it, all I'm signing for is that the loadsheet represents that flt and that it is loaded in accordance, I know your gonna say "well your w/b trained" but it's the same with anyone.

CHEERS!!!!!:ok:

P.s this is the practice for Servisair at ??? and it is given from the Training manual.

!!!!!!

speedbird_heavy
31st Mar 2004, 14:07
Wth regard to Servisair not having a problem with it I beg to differ, I think you should check the training manual

Ok i'll pass that on to the fella that came from BHX to train us.

BEST L/CONTROLLER
31st Mar 2004, 16:59
You do that and see what he says, I'm sure that SERVISAIR is the same all over and our training guys resieved all the info from the Traners at GLA, if it isn't in the manuall then I'll appologise now, but the counttersigning of Loadsheets is only to clarify that the Loadsheet matches the LIR and that it is loaded in accordance and that the a/c is safe, that's all.

Now I'm sick of talking about the same thing!!!!lol

Any cance of a pint......????

CHEERS!!!!!!!:ok:

speedbird_heavy
31st Mar 2004, 18:21
Go on then mines a Guinness :D

redfield
1st Apr 2004, 09:34
Best L/C: no, it's not the same everywhere.....:ok:

BEST L/CONTROLLER
1st Apr 2004, 15:01
I don't care if it is or it isn't, I'm getting out of the Circuss to join Emirates/Dnata in the dessert,DXB I've been offered the job and I'm taking it, get out of this company while people can before we're all made redundant!!!!

CHEERS!!!!!!!!:ok:

P.s pint of fosters for me,, and if we work for the same company then it SHOULD be the same everywhere,

Now start another thread we can talk about before I slash my rists!!!!:{