PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Power Supply

Diverse
11th Mar 2004, 22:18
Can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere I could buy a power supply for a Toshiba 1670 Laptop. The old one's cable has snapped off at the box. Most of the sites I search for seem to have batteries or are US sites. Thanks

amanoffewwords
11th Mar 2004, 22:31
Toshiba UK? (http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/individual_options_page.jsp?z=30&service=UK&ACTION=SHOW_ATTRIBUTES&selCategory=2319&oldCategory=2319&oldFamily=2326&selFamily=2326&selSeries=-1&selProduct=5614&OPTION_ID=5920&toshibaShop=true) or one of their partners.

Ausatco
13th Mar 2004, 13:39
You could also try Googling around a bit and find a supplier of IT power supplies. Almost always cheaper than genuine, and you don't need genuine if you know the specs - voltage output and wattage is pretty much all you need to know and you can get that from the label on the original. Unless your lappy requires something wierd. I don't know what your Toshiba's needs are.

I searched and found non-genuine when my lappy's PS died. My task was simple because the plug/socket at the computer end was one of those standard tubular thingies, and the generic PS I bought matched that.

If your plug/socket at the lappy is special, you could cut the cord off the broken PS and join it to the output of the new one. I did that on mine because the output cord on the new PS, though compatible, was too short. Make sure you get the polarity right.

Get a friend with basic electronic knowledge to help if need be.

The effort was worth it - I got an industrial strength, higher capacity continuously rated PS for half the price of a genuine spare.

Continuous rating was important because my lappy functions as a second desktop. Many laptop power supplies are not rated for continuous (read 24/7) use, just a few hours followed by a rest. Maybe that's why the original died :{

AA

ORAC
13th Mar 2004, 15:04
£52, including free delivery, from here (http://shop.psaparts.co.uk/aka/powerup/servlets/Page.Filler?_page=static/manufacturers/toshiba/satellite-1670cds.html).

Wing Commander Fowler
13th Mar 2004, 19:08
Seems a shame to junk it for such a reason - take a trip to a local TV repair shop. I should have thought a tenner in the back pocket would sort that out fairly smartish???

flynverted
13th Mar 2004, 19:17
Diverse,
Same thing happened to me a few years ago. I simply took the box apart and soldered the wires back together, then wrapped 'em up with electrical tape. :ok: :cool:
Might be worth a try if you're handy with a soldering iron.:cool:

Diverse
14th Mar 2004, 04:55
I'm rubbish at soldering but I might see if a tenner to a local shop may get it sorted, otherwise it looks like 50-60 quid. Not bad really 'cos there's nothing wrong with the computer. Thanks for all the advice.