PDA

View Full Version : Not responding

The Invisible Man
11th Mar 2004, 04:44
Help !!!!

Just recently have been getting many frozen pages, ( hope these technical terms are right). I get the egg timer and eventually a message that says " not responding". Have to close the page and start again. Running XP Pro and have downloaded all recent updates. It did not happen after any update.

Any ideas please.

spekesoftly
11th Mar 2004, 07:43
I believe that 'deleting temporary internet files' and 'clearing the cache' are essentially one and the same.

How you achieve it varies according to your browser.

This link (http://www.sussex.ac.uk/USIS/www/cache.shtml) gives some further details.

The Invisible Man
11th Mar 2004, 15:43
Thanks for the replies,

I have cleared the tempory files and so far all has been ok.

When it happens, the blue progress bar at the bottom of the page does not clear. I then get the egg timer, and finally across the top of the page where it says Microsoft Internet Explorer supplied by ***** in brackets it tell me it is "not responding". I then get the error report which, when I send, takes me to the Microsoft Update page.

Hopefully the advice given so far will fix ( fingers crossed )

Thanks again. :ok:

The Invisible Man
11th Mar 2004, 19:28
Since clearing the cache and deleting tempory files, it has only happened once. It used to happen on every 6th or 7th page I would visit. So I still have the problem, but not as bad !!!

E-Liam
12th Mar 2004, 02:14
Hi Invisible Man,

Have a look at the sticky post at the top, and follow the instructions for downloading and running ADAWARE.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117136

It sounds as though you might have something running, that's conflicting with the browser. Let me know how you get on..

Cheers
Liam

boeingbus2002
12th Mar 2004, 07:02
Invisible man,
I have Windows 98, and it happens to me too.
Usually when i try to open several windows at once (Right click on link and Open in new window.) When it freezes I Ctrl-Alt-Del and try to close it from there. Thats where i get the NOt responding message.
After i end the task I get a run time automation error...and all works out fine!
Something which might be related is MSN Messenger. It often takes ages to load after password.

The Invisible Man
16th Mar 2004, 13:01
Hi all,

Well its worse than ever. Internet explorer fails ( error report on every start up now) I cannot launch control panel without the same message, or any other short cut on the desktop. I cannot get into system restore to see if that helps either.

I'm using MSN explorer now and that seems ok.

I will copy and paste error message just in case it helps. I've done all that was suggested and it seemed to improve for a little while.

Agh !!!

It says the following files will be included and sent.

C\DOCUME~1(part of my name)~1LOCALS1\TEMP\WER1AE.TMP.DIR00\APPCOMPAT.TEXT

Not sure if that helps.

mazzy1026
16th Mar 2004, 13:37
What you describe can happen quite often when somebody has a worm virus or lots of spyware on their system. There are worm viruses that love to soak up your internet bandwidth and stop you from doing things - generally being a pain in the a***.

On the other note, it could be that you are overloading your processor by having too many windows open (this generally isnt an issue with a decent CPU but I dont know what you have).

I would suggest looking on your computer and trying to free up some resources - the first thing you should do is decide whether you have too much software (including small programs) installed. go to control panel and "add/remove programs" - here you will be presented with a list of all the software you have on the machine - then uninstall as much as you can (obviously this i limited and you cant remove everything). This will free up some resources. Then once you have done that - download the Internet Explorer 6 from Microsoft as it may be because you have a corrupt IE (I am presuming you have IE5).

Also I would strongly advise running the spyware and virus checks as the guys mentioned above - this could be it.

If this still fails post back on your progress (or lack of :sad: )

Best of luck

Maz :ok:

The Invisible Man
16th Mar 2004, 14:04
Hi Maz,

Thanks for the reply.

I normally have one window open at a time, I cannot get into control panel now or anything else I have using a short cut on the desk top. If I double click My computer I get the same message, even on Recycle Bin.

I do have IE6 loaded. If it is corrupt in some way, why is it affecting all my other programmes and shortcuts???

I do have the latest McAfee downloaded. Will scan again and see what results I get.

Not sure what other info you require.

As an update.....

Managed to get into system restore via programmes, restore to a week ago, all fine for about 30 minutes. Then total fail again even on shortcuts ......

Dillinger
17th Mar 2004, 15:59
Sounds like you have a virus of some kind if you have a laptop go to www.symantec.com and download the virus checker tool that they have it is a seperate application and this will tell you if you have anything on your computer and allow you to remove it safely. Second to that you may need to re-install XP again on your computer as a file could be corrupt and causing you these problems. Good luck.

The Invisible Man
18th Mar 2004, 13:33
As an update..

Downloaded and ran Spybot....

Downloaded Registry Mechanic,

First run of Spybot revealed absolute mass of problems.... read tutorial and dealt with problems. Big improvement with performance, but still had occasional" Not responding"

Registry Mechanic identified 450 problems in various areas. Once those problems were fixed, ran PC and so far no problems at all.

So not sure what actual problem was but I think it's cured ( for now!)
:ok: