PDA

View Full Version : Work Experience Placements

BA777
11th Mar 2004, 03:10
Good evening all, hope you're all well :)

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any work experience placements currently available for July this year. I don't mind where it is really, abroad would probably be ok.

I have accumulated over 1200 hours in flight sim on my PC, flying mainly widebody aircraft such as the 777 and 747. This experience has given me a basic understanding of ETOPS, METARS, TAFs, and flight plans, as well as zero fuel weights, V-speeds, weight and balance, and I know that this plays a vital part in everyday airline operations.

In addition, I was asked to beta test Flight Simulator 2004, through a third-party group I manage, and I am an aviation photographer whose photos have been published and used professionally on the Internet.

I posess excellent communication skills and take direction well.

Many thanks,

Henry Lidster

http://www.airline-images.co.uk

cessna l plate
11th Mar 2004, 03:33
Hmmmm
Are all you guys thinking what I'm thinking?

BA777
11th Mar 2004, 03:50
Dear Cessna,

What are you thinking? You'd probably be surprised by how far things have come along over the years, but i understand your point.

I fully understand that the actual simulation of the flying doesnt even come close to the real thing, but the basis such as flight and fuel planning, route planning etc must be a start?

Cheers

Henry

leonbrumsack
11th Mar 2004, 04:07
Based on personal experience, the only way to find anything is through constant phoning round - and being able not to take rejection personally. I found the company I eventually went with after unsuccessfully trying about 35 others - we're not normally in a position to pick and choose.

GolfWhiskeyKilo
11th Mar 2004, 23:32
I did mine with the ex-gill airways in operations years and years ago. I got jumpseat trips and had a great 2 weeks, but I had to go find them, ring them, write to them etc etc. As Gulf said, you really have to put in a lot of effort to get anywhere in this industry, but when you get what you want, it pays off!

Ian

simfly
12th Mar 2004, 00:47

When I did work experience I was just 15. I wrote to pretty much all airlines/aviation companies around Aberdeen airport explaining I wanted a career in aviation and was looking for a work experience placement. I took up the first offer as they were coming in slow! I ended up with Business Air (now midland commuter) and did days in ops, dispatch, pax services, engineering, jump seating etc etc.. A few months later they called me up asking me to work on Saturdays doing odd jobs in ops and down on the aircraft -brilliant, lasted for 9 minths before they needed someone full time, and I was jut about to do my standard grades (GCSE's!)-gutted! :{ So as said above, just write a load of letters, and send them off ASAP, and good luck!

Sim

cessna l plate
14th Mar 2004, 01:56
Henry
I wasn't trying to be nasty and sarcastic, and I wish this guy loads of luck. I haven't even finished my PPL yet, but I am trained enough to know that Bill Gates version of a plane leaves a lot to be desired. I cannot comment about the jets etc, but as for the Cessna 172, I do know about it.

The flight sim model has some glaring omissions, including a lack of ablitlty to enter an incipient spin, any kind of stall is simple, with no secondry stall either. Some of the strips aren't 100% accurate either. And some of the instruments don't perform as you would expect ( balance ball/turn co-ordinator for example).

Whilst I admit that this is a game and nothing more, some people seem to regard it as gospel, and assume that the aircraft will fly like that in real life. (Look at the instructors forum under funnies)

I wishs this guy all the luck in the world though
Cessna L Plate

BA777
14th Mar 2004, 06:38
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your help up to this point.

I've contacted pretty much every single airline that operates into Heathrow, Gatwick and other UK airports now, with little luck...yet. But I will keep trying!

What I really would love is something like Ian got. But the responses I've had from airlines and airport companies have kind of ruled that out now, unfortunately.

Cessna L Plate,

Thanks mate. I know you weren't being disrespectful, and i really do appreciate your input.

The M$ default stuff sucks. However, extremely high quality freeware and payware addons (such as Project Opensky) offer stunning aircraft with flight dynamics tested by current pilots of those types too, so it is not 100% inaccurate, but it's still got a way to go!

Anyway, what I was looking for from this thread would for someone to see me, and see my qualities.

Cheers

Henry