View Full Version : PPRuNers Military Aircraft Gallery- why not?

SilsoeSid
11th Mar 2004, 01:10
As I have said in other posts,

I do not agree that there is a security problem in posting a photograph that Joe civi could take by being in the right place.

Whether invited onto camp/station or simply standing by the A1, A303, A343, A14, A496, M3, etc ;Salisbury plain, Thetford, anywhere on Snowdonia National Park, Northumberland National Park, Dartmoor, Scotland etc;....need I continue?

Why can't I post my own photos and others theirs?

Moderation here is being applied with too big a stick:ouch:

Then go some place else!

rivetjoint
11th Mar 2004, 02:56
This section of pprune is as successful as it is because people can be anonymous as they want and say what they want. Anything which encourages realism to the forum is going to take away the freedom of speech that we currently enjoy here, please don't go there.

Fg Off Max Stout
11th Mar 2004, 02:56
Looking at your types, I take it you are not current military. Public domain type phots of military types have already and will continue to be posted in this forum, but rightly or wrongly, the implication of your post was taken as a thread showing people, places, equipment details. If indeed you have been military, I'm sure you'll agree that this is not the sort of stuff that serving personell would feel to comfortable about being put on prominent display, as replies from users, not mods have said.

The mods have sensed the mood and acted on it. You have been told but yet you persist in the sort of multiple postings that gets people's backs up. I suggest that you take the hint, as you are not doing yourself favours. I personally do not object to unclassified and non-sensetive images being posted but I think you've shot yourself in the foot. It's not your train set, it's the Boss's and the Mods', and bleating ain't going to change that.

Regards, Stout,

ps what's your credit card number and expiry date?

Echo 5
11th Mar 2004, 04:15
Sid,

I'm just wondering if you may have taken a wrong turning somewhere as I think you should probably be posting on ARRSE.

A few well known and respected "names" have advised you that you are somewhat out of order.
Frankly, you are becoming a f@cking bore.
Perhaps you should stop now before others more well versed than myself give you a good drubbing. :8

E5

SilsoeSid
11th Mar 2004, 04:31
Why are you all going off on this one so much? :confused:

The original request was from ppf saying;

Having visited the Rotorhead forum regularly I wonder if a post similar to the 'gallery' could be started here?

Now, all you have to do is look at the rotorhead gallery.
There are pics of aircraft in interesting and varied locations.

I cannot see what any undesirable will learn from those sorts of pics.

Or perhaps its simpler to just post to the rotorhead forum.;)

Feck
11th Mar 2004, 04:39
Please do and spare us.

rivetjoint
11th Mar 2004, 05:00
You overlook that anything which appears on an official publication/web site has been through numerous layers of approval, publicists, intelligence folk, historians etc, to get there.

Your photo that you stick on the net that you found somewhere else on the net might not have....

SilsoeSid
11th Mar 2004, 05:02
Thanks for that ****. (N rs)

Perhaps y'all need to get basics sorted before doing a jet blast on this forum.

You're worried about security;

Just a couple of snippets from the RAF website and news.(5 mins cut/paste)

WO xxxxxxx lives in xxxxxxx with her husband xxxxx and their two English springer spaniels Harvey and Findlay. She enjoys swimming, traveling and reading and has recently taken up golf and watercolour painting.

When he sets off for Katmandu on March 16 for a month's acclimatisation, he will wave goodbye to his wife, xxxxx, and 18-month-old son, xxxxx, at RAF xxxxxx in xxxxxxx, where he builds Tornado jet engines.”.......The pupils will be following Flt Lt xxxxxx adventures from his internet diary as part of their geography lessons.

The Captain of the RAF Tennis team, Chief Technician xxxx xxxxxx....xxxx, 37, from RAF xxxxxxxx, is serving with No xx (xxx xxxxx) Squadron at RAF xxxxxxxx. He coaches tennis at the xxxxxxx Riverside Club, xxxxxxxxx, in his spare time.

And all some of us wanted to do was show you our piccies of days gone by

By the way, they are my own pics.

Feck
11th Mar 2004, 05:09
I doubt anyone would want to stop you posting images of days gone by (only time would tell whether they would want to look at them).

Respect people's right to anonymity.

The people who have their faces in the public domain are not those who are likely to be caught behind enemy lines anytime soon. Current military aircrew are.

Always_broken_in_wilts
11th Mar 2004, 05:10
SS,

Those of us at the coal face are not like the exalted lords and master you refer to. We often live in our own homes away from service estalishments without all the obvious security that life inside or co located with the wire brings. We have no close protection, nearly always afforded to those with lots of clout and therefore rely on anonimity as our defence against the bad guys.

Having lived for the best part of 2 tours in NI I have a healthy respect for the modern day terrorist and always cover up for the 14 mile journey to work never appear in the local area in my uniform.

So with that sort of ethic in mind, shared by any sensible serviceman today, why the **** would we want to put our ugly mugs on show in here.

Pause before you reply, think about my points here and then ask yourself would you publically display your details if there was even the slimmest chance that you or, more importantly, your family could become targets from such an indiscretion.

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

SilsoeSid
11th Mar 2004, 05:24
AAAAAgH,

The point I'm trying to make here, is that no-one wants to see faces, just the hardware. :ok:

Roger so far?

We are all aware of security not being a dirty word, even more so once one leaves the protection of a green flying suit and razor wire fences.

Where on Earth has this identity of individuals come from?
(FO Stout is prime suspect as Jet Blast rep) ;)

Crevise, now thats a dirty word.:D

DodgyOpsGuy
11th Mar 2004, 05:50
SS,

You are wondering why people are getting upset and defensive over all this. Look at the title of the original thread

"Military Aircrew Gallery"

Whats that suggest to you? Pictures of the Chairman Of the National Goat Blowing Association????

Suggests to me that he wanted pictures of Military Aircrew, might only be an opsy but even I can work that one out

ppf
11th Mar 2004, 06:00
Oops what have I started! :(

I didn't mean for what I believed would be a 'harmless' post to cause such problems and arguing but I merely wondered about the 'idea' of having such a gallery.

The plan was for pictures of aircraft from days gone by, present day or any that may be of interest and definately not of personnel or anything of a sensitive nature.

As I have previously stated, I named the post 'Military Aircrew Gallery', ie a 'gallery' on the 'Military Aircrew' forum. The idea came from the 'Rotorheads Gallery' which I read as a 'gallery' on the Rotorheads forum. See where the confusion may have come from yet?? My not to sober state at the time of posting may have contributed in the mass confusion and PPRuNe Pop kindly pointed out to me "don't post pissed", I will try not to in the future!!

Having lived on and around RAF stations all my life with my father a serving member (yes I am an Air Force Brat!) I am fully aware of the need for anonimity etc, and as such I fully understand the posts recieved so far on the aspect of security.

Any chance we could all be friends!! :p

ppf ;)

SilsoeSid
11th Mar 2004, 06:04
Dodgy,

Catch up a bit will you. That was the title only and was 2 days ago.

This was cleared up 01:56 this morning.

I understand the concept of a 'Military Aircrew Gallery' is hard to get round, but the Blue Peter Gallery, wasn't full of pictures of people called Peter painted blue now was it?

Bandwagon about to leave,

All aboard

Runaway Gun
11th Mar 2004, 06:12
DodgyOpsGuy,

As the Chairman Of the National Goat Blowing Association (position which I have proudly held for almost 13 years - with chapped lips), I am disgusted that you have used my association in an insultive manner.

If it was a mistake, then I accept your application to join. In fact - I'll nominate you as my head assistant.

http://www.tredd.com/lavenderhill/images/photo.1.jpg

DodgyOpsGuy
11th Mar 2004, 06:12
Catch up a bit will you. That was the title only and was 2 days ago.

Maybe I am ignorant here, surely the "Lord of The Rings" is not the latest offering by Delia Smith FFS. He intimated he wanted pictures of "Military Aircrew" by the nature of his thread title . I am not only an OPSY but also Welsh and I still understand it.

Why not start a thread called "I want pictures of lots of military hardware with no faces so that I can thrap myself silly over".

Why have pictures posted here when you seem to have scoured the world for comments and pictures of serving personnel?

Seems to me like someone is in dire need of a bj. Would edit that bit out but hey, what have I got to lose

ps.. Runaway Gun, I accept whole heartedly

pps. blue peter? seen that as a special gallery on dodgybeaver.com

Always_broken_in_wilts
11th Mar 2004, 06:51
SS,

Suggest a visit to spotters paradise at [url]www.janes.com .........and take a roll of kimwipe:E

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

SilsoeSid
11th Mar 2004, 06:56
Dodgy, You clearly have the dolphins on your side I see. :ok:

Thanks for the link abiw. I see you're with me in letting everyone else know the int is out there to be had and we don't need to worry about any pics that may be posted.

How did YOU get to know that site and what was on it? Unlike yourself I don't have access to the subscribed facilities. ;)

Kleenex is much softer, (it's a pilot thing), or is that ?kimwipe? all you can get down the back with the freight? :suspect:

I accept you both have just come back from the bar and will leave the night to pass.

Tiger_mate
11th Mar 2004, 14:04
Copied from Sids parallel whinge on Rotorheads:

At first I thought SiloeSid was a particulary annoying Air Cadet type. He is not, he is a troll displaying the CRM qualities needed for a British Army helicopter pilot. "This is my good idea!!", followed by multiple rants when he does not get his own way.

The original proposal on the military forum was easily taken as lets all put faces to names. I know that this was not the intent. Good quality aircraft photos usually narrow down and individual to type. It will not take the brains of a Major on millionare to focus Prune comments to particular individuals on their now exposed squadrons, especially as most guys on a sqn know who their PPrune peers are anyway. However the management do not need to know that information.

Clearly the military folk believe this for they have said "NO".
....... and that is the end of the matter, for they are ENTITLED to say NO if that is what they desire.

So please, take your rantings, and shout at a door gunner like you normally do.

Feck
11th Mar 2004, 15:13
If it helps certain individuals get their rocks off, go to www.airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net) , type in Tornado / Typhoon / Harrier etc and you'll have a splurgefest of photos taken recently by similarly minded spotters.

Now, back to the rumours...

stillin1
11th Mar 2004, 16:16
s'sid
Now see wot you have done.
A poorly worded initial post, a petulant resonse to obviously pertinant concerns and then nitpicking whinging ever since.
Learning from ones errors may make one a little more succesful next time. This really is the wrong forum to expect to bully your way to where one wishes to go!
:cool:

PS, I'm sure I've met that sheep before:ouch:

Spellin and gramma mishtakes r cos the keyboard is moving.

SilsoeSid
11th Mar 2004, 17:35
thats a good idea, but how come the gallery on rotorheads is so popular ?

stillin,
A poorly worded initial post, a petulant resonse to obviously pertinant concerns and then nitpicking whinging ever since.
Not my initial post and the wording has been covered already. A liitle research before posting would have been nice!

Tiger,
"This is my good idea!!", followed by multiple rants when he does not get his own way.
It wasn't my idea, if you'd care to get the full story before going off. Personal insults....thanks.
Its not a matter of getting my own way, just trying to get round the way of thinking on the security issue.
If it makes you worried, then don't post a pic. Simple as that.
....... and that is the end of the matter, for they are ENTITLED to say NO if that is what they desire.
Likewise, I am ENTITLED to ask..... but why?

You don't HAVE to reply to any threads, but obviously you feel the need.

In a free society it's what we call CHOICE.

stillin1
11th Mar 2004, 18:19
"And some fell on stoney ground":yuk:

Full ProSPin
11th Mar 2004, 18:24
SilsoeSid,

Are you a geography teacher? All those different colours...... either that or I've been drinking way too much caffeine....

PPRuNe Pop
11th Mar 2004, 18:28
I have had a PM from SilsoeSid asking me to close the thread. I warned him yesterday - and I am afraid I was slow in covering it again.

I made it plain to him, and to anyone who thinks they are going to post pictures not in the public domain on here, it is a NON_RUNNER! It ain't gonna happen. At least in the form he was suggesting. There is always a limit and I am always guided by those I know on Mil - in and out of the services who advise me - on touchy subjects.

Many have tried to overeach themselves on the Mil forum by posting stuff they shouldn't.

This thread is going to by -bies after some severe editing.

PPP