PDA

View Full Version : KB to pixels question........

BRL
11th Mar 2004, 00:15
Hi all. I need to resize a picture to 70kb. How many pixels is that then?
Ta...!

Tinstaafl
11th Mar 2004, 01:48
Depends on the colour depth and the type of compression & amount (if any)

fobotcso
11th Mar 2004, 01:52
Cheeky Monkey! I think you knew you were asking one of those "How long is a piece of string" questions.

But there is an anwser - of sorts and it's not just "It all depends"

I depends on the resolution, colour depth and compression. When you save an image in jpeg, you can specify the resolution, the compression and in some applications the colour depth. Other image formats will give very different results.

Here is a picture of Gangi on the island of Sicily. The original file size was 550KB. This is 64KB. The resolution is 100 dpi and the compression was 8 when saving it as a jpeg file. The colour depth - that is the number of shades of colour that might be used for each pixel was, I think, 24bit. In greyscale, with only 256 shades of grey, the file would be much smaller.

http://www.fobotcso.co.uk/gangi%20100px8.jpg

BRL
12th Mar 2004, 00:37
Thanks for the info chaps. Thinking about it, the picture has to be roughly about the same size as the one next to my name here and that is 60x60. I will try that instead. Thanks again...
Brl.

drauk
12th Mar 2004, 18:37
It does depend on several factors, but if you make some reasonable assumptions the answer can be much more useful.

For on-screen presentation it isn't helpful to talk about DPI figures - you want an actual number pixels. An image of 10 pixels by 10 pixels can be printed at any DPI you like (you'll see the individual pixels but it will print), but on screen it is 10 pixels by 10 pixels.

The 60x60 logo is only 4kb. A typical 70kb photograph (as a JPEG with medium compression) would be around very roughly 600x400 pixels.