PDA

View Full Version : New iBook (Mac) owner

redsnail
10th Mar 2004, 20:50
As a few remember I was toying with the idea of getting a lightweight laptop. I was considering the 12" iBook as from what I could see, bang for buck $$ it was the best value.
I wanted a 12" screen as it would keep the weight down. I have access to a 15" Dell laptop and for what I wanted, it was too heavy and too big. If I had have wanted a 15" laptop then there's a lot more choice.
What I wanted the lap top for. Predominantly Internet and DVD watching while on daystops. I didn't need a camera etc.
It looks great and weighs in at 2.2kg. Quite strong too.

Ease of use. I bought the 12.1" iBook and added an internal WiFi card at the shop. It comes with Mac OS X (pronounced ten) (Panther) fitted. This is the first complete system I have ever bought. Most of the time I have aquired computers or rebuilt them. This Mac is ridiculously easy to use. Setting up was a piece of cake. No joke.
Connecting to the net (landline, WiFi has yet to be done). Simple.
It took a fraction longer to get used to the 1 button mouse. However, as soon as I twigged to how Mac do things it was easy. Instead of right clicking, just shift the mouse to the top of the screen and voila, just use the stuff there. Better yet, just use keyboard short cuts that are very similar to Windoze. In fact there's a help section that tells you what Mac command is the equivalent of Windoze. How helpful is that?

iTunes is so easy to use.
Safari (IE and Messenger come fitted as standard too) is easy to use. Lots more cookie filtering etc too.
Finder is like windows explorer, simple.
etc.
DVD playing? Multi region, not a problem.
Downloading and installing stuff is easy too.
Blue tooth can be fitted externally for about 20-30 quid. Already supported.

I am now looking for a word and spreadsheet programme that can talk to Word and Excel. Of course you can buy them for the Mac but I want to see what else is out there. I am considering using OpenOffice.

When I get the WiFi stuff and the "office" type programmes I'll let you know how I get on.
I followed PPRuNe Towers' advice and aquired Mac OS X Panther Edition-The Missing Manual. I also got Switching to the Mac-The Missing Manual too. Both by David Pogue.

I am very happy with the lil iBook. Money well spent. If you are looking for a tough light laptop to use while away for internet and DVD's etc. Go no further.