PDA

View Full Version : Fire on SAA

Gunship
10th Mar 2004, 15:49
From News 24 :

A SA Airways aircraft en route to Lusaka, Zambia had to turn back because the port engine caught fire, a passenger has claimed.

Johannesburg - A South African Airways (SAA) aircraft en route to Lusaka, Zambia on Tuesday night, had to turn back because the port engine caught fire, a passenger claimed.

However, SAA has denied that any fire had broken out on the plane.

Before the flight had even left the ground passengers were told that there was a problem with the engine and that the flight would be delayed, a passenger Manuel Julies told Sapa.

Then, half an hour after they were in the air the pilot told them the left engine had caught fire. The plane landed safely again at Johannesburg International Airport, said Julies. However, "everyone is still scared".

James Kamanga, SAA reservations supervisor, said there had not been a fire on the aircraft. The engine had started heating up and the pilot had thought it prudent to return to the airport.

"There wasn't any fire, there was a fire warning. There was no fire at all," he said.

The flight was rescheduled on another aeroplane for later on Tuesday evening. Julies said the passengers were not happy about taking off again on Tuesday night and would have preferred to make the trip on Wednesday.

B Sousa
10th Mar 2004, 19:51
Probably just a greese fire. The crew, no doubt was getting the Boerwoers ready for an RON in Lusaka........

Gunship
11th Mar 2004, 02:30
Firstly the scheduled aircraft had a Birstrike and came back to Johannesburg.

After an aircraft change and after departure
the aircraft had a fire warning on engine No 1.

No fire was detected when they landed safely again.

Theres a big diference between a fire warning and a fire ! :ooh:

Goffel
11th Mar 2004, 03:48
:mad:
Why the :mad: did we all have to exit by way of the slide shutes if there was no fire.
Explain that one then please.

Flying Bean
11th Mar 2004, 11:57
This is a bit confusing. Can we have some clarity please!!
(In the light of the considerable ammount of 'spin' that was disseminated afer the SAA runway excursion at LUN 2 years ago)

If it was an overheating engine I cannot believe the crew would have used the word "fire" on a PA announcement. (Pax comment)

Goffel

It would appear from your post that you were actually on board. Can we have some more detail please. Was the evacuation on the runway or taxiway? What was the actual PA announcement?

I use this flight 2/3 times a month so I am very interested!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

Goffel
12th Mar 2004, 00:53
Oops,mistake whilst writing.Somehow sent message before written properly.
Okay.
My house-mates boyfriend was on the flight and has told me direct what happened.
They were late getting off the ground due to a technical problem (?) and then approx 30 mins into the flight,they were told that there was a fire warning light that had come on,no fire,just a light and that they were going back to Jhb for safety reasons.
On landing they were escourted by the fire trucks to a parking bay and everyone exited like normal people.
They were just refused hotel accomadation in Jhb and put on a later flight to Lusaka.
:D
Hope that clears that up.

Gunship
14th Mar 2004, 22:56
So Goffel do I understand you correctly that they did NOT use the slide shutes ?