PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Revision Books

Echo India
10th Mar 2004, 03:28
Hi

I was just wondering if anyone has every used either the "Key Facts & Handling Questions" Vol 1 & 2 by Mike Burton & Anthony Stevens and/or "Key Facts for JAA ATPL Exams" Vol 1 & 2 by Stuart Smith and Mike Groves as revision aids for the ATPL exams? Any opinions on the books greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
EI

QNH 1013
10th Mar 2004, 03:58
Yes, I bought all four and found them very useful. However, the chief ground instructor for my distance learning course said he didn't rate them highly. They tend to describe things in a slightly simplistic way, but I found them extremely useful particularly for subjects I was finding it difficult to understand. I got all first-time passes so they can't be that bad.

peb
10th Mar 2004, 04:26
"Key Facts for JAA ATPL Exams" Vol 1 & 2 by Stuart Smith and Mike Groves are good but think that they dont have much information because they are key fack as the names say it and if you have studied you should know everything already everythining that is in there because there is not a magic formula to pass the exams. They are also a bit expensive. All depends how much do you know.
:ok:

Aim High
14th Mar 2004, 15:20
Thanks for your comments
Did make us laugh the CGI who thinks they are too simplistic
We must make them more difficut to read - not :p

We use them as a study aid as Key Facts and students add in their own personal notes - which works well

As for price £18 each

JAA Exam Resit from April 2004 = £55

Sungod Ra
17th Mar 2004, 00:35
Mike Burton teaches AGK at BGS. Although I don't possess his books, I would like to challenge the 'simplistic' description levied against his tomes.

I won't disagree, during lectures he teaches basics and doesn't go into the weeds too much.

There is rhyme to this reason, he has compiled a huge swathe of the CAA AGK question bank and if you can answer his multi choice questions you're likely to do well in the exam.

Echo India
31st Mar 2004, 18:44
Well, I purchased two of the books. Vol 2 of “Key Facts & Handling Questions” by Anthony Stevens and Vol 1 of “Keynotes for Pilots” by Stuart Smith & Mike Groves. They both cover the same subjects.

For anyone else thinking of purchasing them, I'll give you my opinion of them.

Anthony Stevens’s book, "Key Facts & Handling Questions" is basically a handy revision guide. It’s only about 108 pages long and each subject is broken down into various headings. For example Human Perf is broken down into Human Physiology, Atmosphere & Oxygen Requirements and Sleep, to mention just a few. There are then various bullet points of the key facts covered under that heading. Taking Human Perf again as an example, there are 182 key facts in total. It covers pretty much all the main points you need to know without going into detail. It’s ideal for someone wanting to revise over key points while on the bus or train, commuting into work without having to carry all your notes with you. The book would easily fit into a jacket pocket. I would say however, that it pretty much covers the material that is in your course provider's notes, so if you are based at home studying and don’t face too many moments when you wished you had some notes with you to read over, then it’s probably not really worth it. Stick with your course provider’s notes and revise from that.

The Stuart & Groves book, “Keynotes For Pilots” employs a different style. It poses the material in the form of a serious of questions. For example, “How long is the saccade rest cycle?” Or “What are the characteristics of the Polar maritime air mass?” to take just a couple of examples. Personally, I find this a much better form of revision as it forces you to try and think of the answer. Its only about 90 pages long and is spiral bound, with a blank page next to page that the questions are on, so that you can add in your own notes. However, I have one main gripe with the book and that is the price. The book covers most of the trickier points that you might be more likely to forget come exam time, however it doesn’t cover as many points as Anthony Stevens’s book and at £18, I’d have expected a lot more material covered. It does have that extra page as I said to add in your own notes but why pay £18 to do that when you could summarise your course providers notes in a similar style for free. As I said, it’s a good book with a great way of revising but for £18, I’d love to see an updated version with more material added.

silverknapper
1st Apr 2004, 16:29
EI

Are you looking at supplementary reading because you are struggling or because your own notes are lacking?
Only reason I ask is that you may be just as well served getting another schools notes and feedback for whichever subject it is, or indeed just buying a pile of feedback for them all.
If it's due to poor notes I would get on to your school, especially if others agree with you. I feel quite strongly that having bought a course, you are entitled to be able to rely solely on that to get through the exams, and not fork out even more on additional reading. I have some mates who had laughable notes from the old FTC and they really struggled, but when they bought oxford/bristol notes they all got on fine - though they weren't happy at having to fork out.
Obviously if it's just more knowledge you're after ignore me!!

SK