View Full Version : Is it wise to hop From Helicopter PPL to Fix Wing?

Trini_Pilot
10th Mar 2004, 03:04
Hey I am a 19 year old Helicopter Student Pilot. I can currently doing my PPL exams. What I would like to know how wise will it be for me to hop across to fix wing at this time to get a Fix wing PPL and CPL? Or should I go all the way to Helicopter CPL then get multi add-on?

You guys out there what do u recommend?

Thanks alot guys.

Trini_pilot :ok:

Apollo 100
10th Mar 2004, 20:29
Trinni, having taught both rotary and fixed wing for many years I personally would not recommend doing your fixed wing ppl while you are still training on helicopters. You don't mention how many chopper hours you have, but in the early stages of training, while you are coming to grips with techniques such as reducing speed on finals - the last thing you want to do is confuse the old grey matter by learning a completely different technique for aeroplanes. Once you have a bit of experience (say 150hrs) you would have no problems making the change as the skills learned will be sufficiently permanent to not be confused with aeroplane techniques. For what its worth, you will also pick up FW flying much quicker having had some airborne experience on choppers. Good Luck :ok:

Apollo 100

sandy helmet
10th Mar 2004, 21:33
Is that so you can hop skip and jump between National, Bristow and BWIA?? ;) ;) ;) (Just kidding)

I wouldn't bother with the fixed wing thing at this stage - with the way the airline industry is in the Caribbean right now, go and get your R/W CPL, Instrument and you're good to go!! Much more of a sure thing.

Trini_Pilot
11th Mar 2004, 06:03
Hey Guys,

Thanks alot for all the information. Apollo I am really happy with the info you give. I will take your advice and complete my R/W Course. Thanks alot to Helmet.

I currently have 40hrs. by the way. By any chance do you guys know any good helicopter school in America. Florida or New York State.

Thanks alot guys.:ok: