PDA

View Full Version : "Sent Items" suddenly died

Keygrip
10th Mar 2004, 02:27
Windows XPPro. Outlook Express.

Noticed recently that I'm not getting a copy of any outgoing e-mails in the "sent items" box. It suddenly 'froze' on March 1st.

Mail is still going out - and in "Tools/Options/Send" menu there is still a check in the box asking for copies of sent items.

Anywhere else to look?

Ausatco
10th Mar 2004, 05:58
Sometimes programs lose track of toggled items, but recover if you toggle them off then on or vice versa.

Try unchecking the box you mentioned, close OE, re-open and send a message. Then re-check it and try again.

A long shot, but similar has worked for me in other programs.

AA

The Nr Fairy
10th Mar 2004, 06:12
And sometimes the files/folders which store Sent items get damaged. I don't know if there's a way to fix it, so I moved to Outlook which avoids the problem . . .

fobotcso
10th Mar 2004, 17:06
"Sent Items" is one of the Default Folders OE creates when first installed. (Along with Outbox, Deleted Items, Drafts and Inbox). It doesn't actually appear until the first e-mail is sent.

What you see as a "Folder" is actually a File named "Sent.dbx" and it resides here:

C: \Documents and Settings\fobotcso\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{1A2CD489-EC15-433F-A2B6-EDD9B78272BA}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

You could see if there are now two similar files and which one is growing as you send e-mails. Maybe there is a "Sent itmes (1)" that is only about 75KB in length abd static but you are seeing it in OE as "Sent Items". Try deleteing it.

But first I would see if, from within OE, I could delete the worthless Folder called "Sent Items" and re-create a new one.

You will understand if I don't try it here first, I hope! ;)

All that's happened is a Registry glitch and it could be sorted by editing the Registry but this needs care and planning - and only after a full back-up of all the files in the above Folder.