PDA

View Full Version : RTO.......@ BHX 07MAR04 (poss Brittania a/c).

PeePeerune
9th Mar 2004, 16:19
Anyone have any info on this.....

:ugh:

TightSlot
9th Mar 2004, 16:44
It was rejected because when we took it out of the box it didn't look as good as it did in the shop: We'd like a refund please?

:rolleyes:

White Knight
9th Mar 2004, 22:39
Shock, horror - pilot stops aeroplane from taking off !!Give us a break from this NON NEWS:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

PeePeerune
10th Mar 2004, 00:58
Hey hang on a minute guys......Just thought someone may have news on what the actual problem was.It may be of interest to other pilots who operate a/c type and maybe that particular a/c involved..........

Please dont take a instant dislike to such questions.After all I am only asking for some info.(I thought this was one of the ideas of the internet/forums).

airship
10th Mar 2004, 01:11
done pai dem no mynd - dem ozers jus jaylouz coz o yau oridginel handel boi ;)

DingerX
10th Mar 2004, 02:41
(T)error in the Skies

Birmingham (AP) - "I've never been so frightened in my life!"
That's how homemaker and churchgoer Sara Hutchison described
the ordeal.
Sunday, a Brittania A329 Airbus stood at the end of Runway 2
in Birmingham, ready to take its capacity load of businessmen,
holidaymakers and airline-industry freeloaders to Heathrow. Then
things went horribly wrong.
"The plane started to take off, then suddenly veered onto a
road to the right, and made a U-turn without signaling. I thought
I could hear the tyres squeal", said amateur pharmacist and
professional plane spotter David Knowles on airliners.net, an
aviation industry web site.
On a pilots-only web board, the truth came out. "I was waiting
for my flight at gate C30, listening to the scanner, when I heard
that 329 was coming in with an emergency -- smoke in the
cockpit -- firetrucks and all", said CFIT, listed in his profile as a
Dispatcher for Virgin Airlines.
The jet in question had been purchased from an American
charter company that had flown troops to the Persian Gulf in
1990. Aviation experts suspect depleted uranium left in the
overhead containers might have contributed to the rejected take
off. According to an RAF officer, who preferred to remain
anonymous, just a few rounds of 20mm ammunition in the right
places would be enough to cause an aborted takeoff.
The alleged pilot denied these rumours, "We were going to
take off, but the V1 on the B Engine was looking a little dodgy
due to a bad annunciator switch. So I got Eurocontrol on the
land line and told them we were going around."
The flight arrived a full ten minutes late. Passengers
interviewed at Heathrow had mixed opinions on their brush with
death. "Terrible flight. They wouldn't let us get up the whole time.
I need a drink", said John Smith, a pubkeeper visibly shaking from
the ordeal.
Birmingham native Rosa Parks disagreed, "I didn't feel
especially frightened. I felt more annoyed than frightened."

ETOPS
10th Mar 2004, 16:13
DingerX

That's really funny - you have a great career ahead as a comedy writer!

As an aside - do we think there is a chance we could get Britannia Airways to change their name to Brittania. At least 75% of Ppruners seem to like that spelling and it would make life a lot easier.......

Budgie69
10th Mar 2004, 18:42
Dinger x

Very good, but unfortunately you omitted the parts about the screams, the nude vicar, and the engines revving backwards.

StudentInDebt
10th Mar 2004, 19:18
Someone in the upper echelons of management agrees with you ETOPS - Britannia soon to be known as Thompson.co.uk while the other TUI airlines retain their identities due to their easy to spell names..... :D

Keygrip
10th Mar 2004, 21:35
Guys...

Whilst you all sit there taking the 'peepee' out of peepeerune and the posting of what you all call a "non news" story, you should take into account that - in a period of 24 hours - there have been over 1,400 'hits' by people (including every one of you who have replied in your own sarcastic way), so not one of you has the right to say that the posting was not of interest to pilots.

If the posting was made by someone who considered that there may be something to learn by pilots of the type (or specific airframe) then it was, perhaps, a good question - but maybe written badly.

If the posting was made by a scumbag reporter then.....well, all bets are off (say what you like) - BUT, I say again, every one of you was interested in the story when you clicked the link to open it.

William A Bong
10th Mar 2004, 22:27
So far no - one has mentioned the Global Supply Systems B747F (G-GSSB) that also did an RTO at Stansted yesterday. Then went on a three engine ferry to AMS.

UNEASY
10th Mar 2004, 22:31
DingerX,

Not for a long, long time have I laughed so aloud my young son worried I had lost it.
Thanks for the tonic, I will have a nice day now.
Cheers!:ok:

pogop
11th Mar 2004, 00:08
"Student in Debt"
Obviously the spelling of Thomson.co.uk is not that easy either - as it does not have a "P" in it!!! :p
The airline is still known as Britannia Airways - as it says in small writing on the aircraft with the new livery.
I too would be interested in any information as to whether there was a BY RTO at BHX the other day.

blue up
11th Mar 2004, 16:03
StudentInDebt and Pogop etc...

...I understand our paint job is to be changed "AGAIN" since surveys showed that the vast majority of talking freight thought it was Thomascook.com, not Thompson.com. Personally, I find it hard to recognise ours next to KLM and Korean.

"Hoskins! Get the paint cans out again....I'm going to get another chequebook out of stores"

(Maybe white on top with some snazzy blue/amber/red pinstripes....plus a picture of Britannia on the tail to help?)

Frosty Hoar
11th Mar 2004, 18:15
Peeprune,

Aircraft rejected take off because the pilot did not want to continue it , possibly due to tech problems.

If you want to know more about rejected take offs then why not ask on the questions or tech log forum, I fail to see how your post represents either rumour or news.

sharpshot
11th Mar 2004, 21:33
DingerX
Definitely a great read and I sit not far from where the anchors were allegedly slammed on - must go and see how the rubber is building up again.

But hey - doesn't the aircraft always stand on "the tarmac" - regardless of construction method:p

And after all was it not confused with a Russian aircraft 'cause of the poorly painted hammer & sickle on the tail!