PDA

View Full Version : Smoking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aileron Roll
9th Mar 2004, 16:08
After 15 years, have decided am really sick of this and is time to stop............. I know its really easy, have done it many times before !

On a serious note, any good advise or ideas out there ?

Divergent Phugoid!
9th Mar 2004, 16:31
A R

I smoked until 1999.

Was in the mess with a mate and after lighting up a cigar the conversation went along the lines of "those things stink" I agreed and put it out. Gave him the rest of the packet for his mate, gave the lighter away to someone else, spoke to the bar staff and asked them never to sell me any more cigars and that was it. I had given up! (had a slight wager with said mate which took months to recover. Shame I didnt take him up on his offer of three months salary!)

What you do from there is dont smoke for the first day. Its purgatory I know but on the second day you say to yourself, why put myself through the hassle, stress and feeling sh1te for that one day if Im not giving up for life.... day two the same and on and on...

After a week or two, it very quickly becomes a month and then a month becomes six etc, but you must remind your self how awful you felt when you first gave up and what was the point in putting your self through that feeling if you werent giving up for life, every time you have a craving. Its worth carrying a pen to keep fingers occupied for the first few weeks when enjoying a pint.

Havent touched one since and dont have any cravings at all, infact its totally the opposite, the smell of cigars and cigarettes make me feel physically sick.

After year one bought myself a Kwaka 900 to enjoy with the proceeds which would have gone up in smoke!

The only thing that smokes now is the rear tyre!

:ok: :ok: :ok:

Edited cos I couldn't spell kasawakki!

gingernut
9th Mar 2004, 21:15
Aileron roll, I'm not sure where Sprinfield is. If it is in the UK, it may be worth your while having a chat to your local GP/Practice nurse. Smoking cessation if a Government "biggy" at the moment, and there are lots of resources out there to help you.

As regards specific advise, try running a search in this forum (when working) using the key word "smoking." There have been some useful threads in the last 2-3 years.

You sound pretty keen to quit, which is essential if you are withdrawing from such a powerful drug such as nicotine. There are products available (again via the NHS), which can help overcome cravings, most are relatively safe, although, again, seek specific advice from a search. (Certain products can induce fits in some people, so obviously do not mix with piloting.)

Try and stay away from the "doom and gloom" brigade, as I suspect their advice will not be useful to you.

Good luck. Enjoy that last fag !

ps try quitline on 0800 169 0 169

Superfly
9th Mar 2004, 22:11
As Gingernut said, clamping down on smoking is one of the government's "biggies" at the moment. I went to my GP few months back to sick assistance to stop the ciggies. I got free (only 5,00 GBP) prescription for Nicotine patches, which is an excellent deal when you consider the average price of a 1 week supply being more than £ 20,00 ! Also I got support from my GP's surgery and got to meet the nurse every 2 weeks to have my progress followed up. I have to say that the support was a much needed help , I am now in my 4th month of "nicotineless" life and have to say I love every minute of it :D . I suggest you pay a visit to your GP. He/She will help you. SF

karanou
10th Mar 2004, 00:54
I found setting a day to stop worked for me, chose a day after a two week break abroad, smoked my t*ts off for the duration of the holiday, then stopped on my return to UK

And to beat the cravings (that do eventually vanish) I used to think of a pub ashtray full of dog ends and stale beer the morning after a big pub night - a sickening sight and smell - and this was always enough to put me off

As you sit there and smile thinking this method would never work, Ive been stopped now 3 years and don miss it one bit, so it worked for me

Good luck :ok:

meatball
10th Mar 2004, 01:17
Once you start DONT EVER think you can just quit. It is a daily battle, a monthly battle, a yearly battle, that lasts for decades until you die..smoke related or not.
I am a smoker that QUIT and everyday i say to myself..." tomorrow I´ll smoke " and today the battle is easier...it is coping day to day...tomorrow is just beyond reach and when it comes you repeat..." tomorrow I´ll smoke.." and so on. It works for me, and might work for you..but dont fool yourselves...nicotine addiction and associated social " thumb-sucking" behaviour patterns are hard to beat down...heroin is easier to quit they say and VERY FEW EVER DUMP THE HABIT...so be easy on yourselves and just think " tomorrow...." RESIST the one cigarette...just the one single cigarette.
Its been 5 months now after a lifetime...with a 4 year interlude during which I kicked the habit 10 years ago....don´t light that one cigarette and DO admit youre a smoker even when you dont light up...:ok:

Divergent Phugoid!
10th Mar 2004, 18:57
Well, meatball, they were surely the best words of advice I have ever seen in any post on here. NOT!

Please don't even consider working for the samaritans.

Just because you may be weak willed and class yourself in the same way as an alcoholic does, don't preach doom and gloom because you failed. Why not offer some positive words of encouragement instead.

(I wonder do you actually work for a tobacco company?)

AR stick with it and be positive!

Be wary of the patches and drugs, when you use these you are still introducing nicotine into your body and you will have to come off these at some stage.

The majority of people I know who have tried patches started smoking again shortly after the course ended. Many have tried the way I describe and have managed to rid themselves from the habit completely, the same as I have done.

Regardless of what meatball rants on about, you will kick the habit, the cravings will go and you will be an ex smoker in no time at all.

It's all about wilpower and a positive mental attitude.

I wish you well, now go look at that motorcycle brochure....

:ok: :ok: :ok:

QDMQDMQDM
11th Mar 2004, 03:26
I got free (only 5,00 GBP) prescription for Nicotine patches, which is an excellent deal when you consider the average price of a 1 week supply being more than £ 20,00 !

Yeah, nuts isn't it? I think it's completely wrong that the government is subbing people to stop smoking like this. If you can afford £5 per day for a pack of cigarettes you can afford to buy patches. Nanny state. Pah!

I hate prescribing patches for that reason. People need to take responsibility for their lives.

QDM

Killer Loop
12th Mar 2004, 11:12
I smoked for 15 years, 40 per day and to cut a long story short was on the edge of failing my medical. Could only do 450 on the spirograph. A friend recommended Allen Carr's Easy Way To Give Up Smoking book. You smoke while you read it, took me two days and it really was very easy to give up. Three months later I was maxing out the spirograph. It's really is easy this way. Good Luck.