PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet Access

FJJP
9th Mar 2004, 07:40
The topic has been mentioned a number of times recently, ie wireless connecting to the internet at locations such as stations and airports. I recently visited my Son and tried to connect to his network and thus the Net. Without success. We could do it with the WEP protocol disabled, but couldn't get the Net connection encrypted.

I confess to limited knowledge of this technology. Do I need any special hardware or software? Does such a connection have to be made WEP disabled? Would appreciate a simple explanation...

FJJP
10th Mar 2004, 02:53
Is there anybody there? Beages, Richard, HELP!

BEagle
10th Mar 2004, 04:29
Sorry, FJJP - I'm not techie enough to be of much help. I don't use WEP with my set up due to my location. Instead I rely upon MAC address restriction in my wireless modem. Thus it will only 'talk' to computers it's been told to accept. If some spotty geek really wants to suck the noughts and ones out of the weak W-LAN signal from my PC to read my PPRuNing......get yourself a better life!

Ausatco
10th Mar 2004, 05:32
FJJP,

If you can get it working at your son's place with WEP disabled, then your wireless network and connection are ok - you've proved that.

This seems terribly obvious, but the only problem I can see that might make WEP not work is mismatching WEP keys or encryption.

Make sure they are identical on both (all) machines. Are you using ASCII on one, Hex on the other? That would be a no-no.

Also, the encryption has to be the same bit depth on both machines - ie, both 64, 128, 256 or whatever.

My gear allows me to store four keys and rotate them. Does yours do that, and if so, are the two machines in sync?

I haven't tried connecting at a public hotspot, but I presume it would not be encrypted - ie, WEP off.

Basic, I'm sorry, but maybe a start.

AA

Timothy
10th Mar 2004, 15:46
FJJP

Your profile puts you in the UK, so I will pass on some information I was given by our SysAdmin last night, unfiltered and unchecked:

In order to attach to WiFi in M'Way service stations, airports and the like you have to have an account with BT. I believe that they are the only suppliers. They will give you the appropriate encryption key.

However, WARNING:

They charge a cool £1 a minute anytime you are in range whether you use the connection or not with a minimum connection time of one minute.

That means that if you have your device switched on in an airport you can receive a massive bill, and if it is on in the car you could pay £1 toll every time you pass a service station.

I say again, I don't know that the above is true, but our SysAdmin is usually well informed.

My advice is to get a GPRS account and a BlueTooth card, which works brilliantly well for me.

Timothy

Keef
11th Mar 2004, 08:24
Blinkin' eck, Timothy! If that's right, I'm not going anywhere near a BT account.

Some research would seem to be called for. Just as I'd installed the WiFi card, too!

The Bluteooth is working a treat. If BT is £1 a minute, I'm for Bluetooth all the way. As you say "It just works"

Bit of research on Google - not a lot of information on how to get enabled, but indications of £6 an hour or £15 a day.

Think I'll stick with GPRS - slower, but controllable and far more practical. Hotspots seem to be few and far between.

My local pub has one! Might go and have a look-see tomorrow!

Timothy
11th Mar 2004, 16:07
Keef

You may well be right, I only passed on an eMail from our SysAdmin, I have done no research myself.

But what if you are both half-right and it costs £6 to drive past a M'way service station???:oh: :ouch: :mad:

Timothy

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Mar 2004, 05:50
FJJP,

Sorry I have been out of Forums for a few days. Here is a good guide to follow:

WiFi User Guide (http://www.speakeasy.net/low/optional)

If any part of the guide does not work for you, we can take it from there.

Take Care,

Richard

Timothy
12th Mar 2004, 07:22
I tried for 40 mins today to get foreign GPRS rates out of Vodafone.

He eventually just hung up.

My sister is a Board Member of OffCom...I feel a little behind the scenes manipulation coming up:}

Timothy

Keef
12th Mar 2004, 09:06
Not being a Voda user, I can't help much there, but on the basis it might be like O2, here's theirs:

http://www.o2.co.uk/business/productsservices/mobileservices/travelling/using/gprs/0,,606,00.html

On the other hand, you could always try here:

http://www.vodafonegoingabroad.co.uk/worldpay_world_gprs.htm

Timothy
12th Mar 2004, 15:02
keef me old fruit, I trust that even your sermons are more fact filled than:All other GPRS partners will be charged at their appropriate price per MB plus the standard handling fee. :ugh:

Timothy

BOAC
12th Mar 2004, 17:30
What I cannot establish, and perhaps someone who has done it can help - is what does the actual call cost, say on a UK voda contract, in France, and dialling via GPRS into the internet? Is it like a normal roaming mobile call, ie you phone uk first at roaming rates before reaching the French GPRS portal, or is it just a straight data up/down cost?

FJJP
12th Mar 2004, 20:07
Ausatco - I think you might just have hit the nail on the head. Both of us had 4 WEP key selections. I did not realise they had to synchro. My No 1 key I left with my own WEP key and I inserted Son's key in the No 2 slot. I guess that mught be the cause of the problem. When we next get together, I will check it out.

Richard - thanks for the link - very informative, simple, and for my one remaining soggy braincell, a godsend with its pretty pictures!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
13th Mar 2004, 09:38
FJJP,

I always go for the pictures. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

Keef
13th Mar 2004, 20:49
Timothy - me sermons bears little resemblance to me mobile phone (except when I forget to turn it off and it goes off during one). You'll have to come some time and sit through the agony...

O2 publish the rates, so you can know exactly what you'll pay to use GPRS with any particular network in any country. That's the first link above. I'm with O2 so I'm happy at that point.

Voda, on the other hand, keep it secret - that's the best their website can do.

My only suggestion is either:

a) assume Voda is similar to O2 in what it charges, or

b) change networks to one that does know, and can tell you, how much things are going to cost.

Timothy
13th Mar 2004, 20:57
What I cannot establish, and perhaps someone who has done it can help - is what does the actual call cost, say on a UK voda contract, in France, and dialling via GPRS into the internet? Is it like a normal roaming mobile call, ie you phone uk first at roaming rates before reaching the French GPRS portal, or is it just a straight data up/down cost?I think, from my reading of the web page, that the cost is 5.88 per Mb, the same as in the UK, but that is pretty much of a guess.

Timothy

Llademos
14th Mar 2004, 10:57
Ausatco ... how did you manage to post 2 hours in the future?

:O :D

Edited - this is even stranger - this post appears above Ausatcos

:confused:

Ausatco
14th Mar 2004, 12:42
FJJP

How did you go with your wireless and WEP?

AA

BOAC
15th Mar 2004, 14:42
Bending away to the GPRS topic here, but my SP ASSURES me that the ONLY charge for GPRS use ANYWHERE is in the kb download, so it could well be the best option for 'occasional' access without a significant daily charge or standing contract.