PDA

View Full Version : Tech Jobs Heathrow WHERE DO YOU LIVE????

Airbus.De
9th Mar 2004, 04:19
Looking at Tech job with Heathrow based Airline Don't know the area to well,can anyone help me with

Salary 24K+Shifts 4 on 4 off where do techs on this salery Live?

What is affordable?

Looking for Nice area have two young kids?

Commuting how far do you have to go from Heathrow to get reasonable/affordable prices?

All info welcome

Regards

ADe

maxy101
10th Mar 2004, 05:23
On that salary, I would commute in from Scotland or the continent. You wont get much for less than 150K if you're not in the market already.

Blacksheep
10th Mar 2004, 07:39
'fraid not maxi. 150K will barely get you a one bedroom flat within reasonable commuting distance of LHR and Airbus has two kids. :(

A long long time ago I used to commute from Ruislip (20 minutes) and a standard ropey old 1920s 2 bed + box terrace in the West London suburbs fetches over 200K these days. Even more if you want a semi with off-street parking or a garage. Moving further out (as I did) gets you a nicer place but there's nothing much cheaper.

maxy101
10th Mar 2004, 20:19
Further to my last, If the family are up for it, I would look at living on the continent. Lovely lifestyle and lower cost of living. Just rent a room in Hayes or Hounslow for your 4 days work.

ukeng
11th Mar 2004, 00:30
You'd be looking at around £700 uk pounds a month for a 2 bedroom flat anywhere within about half an hours drive of Heathrow unfortunately. If you're looking to buy as the other lads have said it's around £150000 for a 1 bedroom flat in this part of the world now.
I you don't mind driving an hour or so each way there's cheaper property to be found 60 miles or so north but the prices are slowly catching up.
I take it it's Virgin you're looking at?

TURIN
11th Mar 2004, 01:15
My niece has just sold a 2 bed semi in the Feltham area. It's right under the flight path (well, as good as) and about 5 mins from LHR. Not much change from £200 000.

Best of luck old son.