PDA

View Full Version : Is an instructor rating tax deductible ?

Lloyd Braun
8th Mar 2004, 12:10
Can anyone offer advice on how to claim an instructor rating as a legitimate tax deduction ?

Is income earned as a pilot prior to getting rating from same organisation required ?

Or is income earned from instructing subsequent to getting rating required ?

Thanks.

turbantime
8th Mar 2004, 14:29
As far as I understand it, you can only claim it if it will give you a promotion in the company or allow you to make more money from it. Can't claim if it helps you get a job or a new postition in the company.

So, the only way it can be claimed is if you're already working as a pilot and the company does instructional work as well.

Have a look here (http://www.ato.gov.au) and do a search for airline employees. It will give you the lowdown on what self-education expences are tax deductible.

Tinstaafl
8th Mar 2004, 22:54
Mine was deductable ~15 years ago. I was able to justify it to the leeches by showing I had *very* part time work with the aero club without the rating followed by regular casual/part time then full time work with the rating.

QNIM
9th Mar 2004, 07:49
Gday Lloyd

I claimed both night and instructor ratings without a problem, best talk to a bean counter though.

Cheers Q :ok:

Blown Seal
9th Mar 2004, 10:42
Lloyd,

I personally have claimed all training expenses since cpl which includes instructor, multi, aerobatics and meci ratings. My accountant is also my best mate and has had to do some creative bookwork to satisfy the ATO. If you do have a good accountant (if you don't get one they are definitely worth their fee) he/she should be able to get it through if you get some flying work, just expect that you might get audited as I did last year and if everything is not in order and I mean everything you will have a hefty tax bill to repay.

BTW if you are in ML send me a pm and I can give you my mates number if you need it.

Blown:ok: