PDA

View Full Version : Type Rating (Yet Again)

FiremanSam
8th Mar 2004, 07:24
This subject has been covered before, and before anyway says "do a search¨ - I have!

Im only looking for actual facts (or directions to were I can obtain ACTUAL FACTS) - not all the negatives/positives or abuse/bitching that these posts tend to generate.

Ok now that's out of the way I hope this will be a useful post for me as well as all the other people asking the same question.

Type Ratings (Again).

Im very seriously considering getting a rating in a 737 (if my bank manager is having a good day that is).

Just for info:
Ive applied to places such as Ryanair (through their schools) but no response as of yet. If you didnt already know the Application form for CAE/GECAT is very very basic with no real useful info for the school to see if youre a good pilot or a bad pilot or what. I know that one guy I trained with has a selection day with GECAT, but he struggled with the course and needed extra time and had to redo the ME test IR. I (and many others) had no problems what-so-ever and havent been given the chance with Ryanair ¡V So it seems its just luck whether or not you get an invite for selection. Correct me if Im wrong.

Right now for the Questions ¡V and hopefully some answers (or constructive advice).

CAE, Global Aviation Solutions, Astraeus (without selection through GAS). These are 3 Im thinking about. But thats only because I cant find any others. GECAT dont want my money ¡V busy with the airlines I think, and the rest are in the USA.

Anyone been through these TRTOs? Any job offer¡¦s after you have the words "737 Type Rated" on your CV?

What pre-study is required or of help (i.e. any good books or websites etc)? I spoke to CAE and they said its not needed. But its a lot of money and I want to make sure that I do everything to get the most out of it. Dont want it to be too much of a "crash course". (Sorry about that)

Would Ryanair have preference for CAE Type Rated pilots rather than Astraeus (with 100hrs on type) ¡V I know that they will obviously take on the selected guys first (when it comes to just the basic rating at CAE or Astraeus ) but if I did fork out yet more cash for 100hrs (or even 2,3,4 or 500 hrs) would that better the chances?

GAS ¡V the assessment, what is involved? Sim check, psychometric, verbal, maths, sewing what..?? Also CAE and Astraeus - what are there assessments like?
Any ideas for preparation? Anyone know any places for cheap time in FNPT2s? (I¡¦m in Reading, near London).

Do you need to have a BASE CHECK before the have an actual rating? What companies do this? For example, could I go to BA and ask if I could borrow a 737 for an hour? (Maybe 2 hours, for a bit of fun fun )

Anyone reading this already have a Type Rating but with no job? How many hours do you have? Where/when did you get the rating? Etc

Thanks for any help.

Sam

flugfisch
8th Mar 2004, 17:26
Hi,

I think about the same thing.
If you do - check FSB in Germany(Berlin) - type rating on a 737 will be 15850 Euros - and you will get Supervision with HLX or Germania - during this Supervision(100 h) you will earn also money.

I also think to start with them - tell me if you think to start with them - maybe we can build a course!

[email protected]

Good luck:ok:

flugfisch
8th Mar 2004, 18:24
Hi,

yes - they are the guys previously from the ryanair site.
I just know them from my MCC - and I now a few guys who did the rating there.
And with supervision - I mean the line training.

Global Pilot
9th Mar 2004, 16:22
Yes a base check is required before the rating is put on your licence. I am in a similar position to you and considering a number of options. Flugschlue in Berlin is a great price for a 73type. I believe the IAA wouldn't approve their training so the won't write up an IAA licence. Interestingly I now have a JAA licence issued by the IAA so wondering could the type be added by German Authority (LBA). Sorry to add more questions.

I also contacted all the TRTOs that Ryanair use and only received a reply from CAE, I agree when you want to spend that much money you would think that even polite replies would be in order.

Imperative to have base check included in the cost of the rating!

flugfisch
9th Mar 2004, 17:22
No - the base check isn´t included in the price.
Due to my informations it is around 4000 Euros.

rodquiman
9th Mar 2004, 17:41
Flugfisch:

So 15850 plus 4000 euros for line training= B737TR + Line training(100hrs).
I think is a great deal, really interesting.
You know this people so, you think is a serious company? Can we trust in them and give them the money?
About the supervision with HLX and Germania, is it in English or in German?, because I only speak Spanish and English.

Thanks.

SlowMover
9th Mar 2004, 18:17
Hi Fireman!

To give you a response to your other question:
Yes, you can surely rent one or a few simulator hours with the training centre of BA, as many as you wish and you are able to pay. I once did rent a block of simulator time (it was 4 hours) for my prof check to keep my rating current and it did cost about 2000 euros plus VAT, the checker not included.

So you can just go and ask different training centers/schools which own a simulator for their prices.

Have fun, Slow Mover

gideva
10th Mar 2004, 16:05
To bleedfail

I came across your post yesterday and the thing seems to be interesting!! If you're going to visit them please let us know which is the deal cause I'm thinking to do it too if the prices are right.

Thanks
Gideva

Throttle Forward
12th Mar 2004, 15:40
Hello Pilots,

be afraid to do the Type Rating on 737 on your own, especially at the FSB.
There are a lot of pilots with a 737 rating in Europe, a lot in Germany, who are looking for a job.
With a minimum of 300-500 hours on type you won't get a job.Believe me, I am in the same situation.And I know the FSB as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Be careful guys.
Last week, I met a guy from the Netherland.He did his rating at FSB last year in September.And he and 11 other guys are still waiting for the line training with Germania. Thats the way.
And you heard about, that Germania is giving up his fleet of 737.

So, be aware whats going on. I learned of my mistakes. You cannot buy you an airline job on your own!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck...
:{

checks-complete
15th Mar 2004, 07:44
Consider one point...

Your self sponsored type rating becomes next to useless if you don't find a job within about 4 months. Are you prepared to take that risk ? I would not, even if I did have the money.

discoinsert
15th Mar 2004, 10:58
I hear that if you do a 733 rating with Bond you will never see the line training portion. I hear they have too many people to put thru the system.

rodquiman
15th Mar 2004, 11:13
I think that we have to options:
1. Not to go for the TR and have not job.
2. Go for the Type Rating and still have no job.

Maybe we must consider looking at it from other angle:
1. Keep flying PA28´s
2. Just do the Rating for the pleasure of flying the 737.:p :p :p

trainer too 2
15th Mar 2004, 11:20
Just for your information. The training at the Ryanair TRTO's CAE / Gecat and SAS is for Ryanair only. With other words the selection is a Ryanair selection for employment, they train you only if there is a job planned for you (not guaranteed though but they say they have hired everybody so far) The selection includes everything you expect: interview, sim, psygo testing etc. So to be able to do the training is the same as being hired.