PDA

View Full Version : What books are recommended?

Martin1234
8th Mar 2004, 05:42
I won't get any books from my training organisation so I'm free to choose whichever I find to be the best.

What books do you recommend to a JAA ATPL student?

I've used the Nordian but think that it covers too many details which are outside the scope of the learning objectives anyway. I find the PPSC (used by GTS) to be almost too "correct" as it feels like reading a law book.

I'm now about to order books in gen nav and op procedures and would appreciate some recommendations.

Thanks.

RowleyUK
8th Mar 2004, 05:47
You should get a manual covering each subject from your training provider!!

If you dont then i would suggest you have a look at the Oxford manuals!!

Underdown books are good too....but rumour had it that some of the questions were lifted form the oxford manuals!

hope this helps

:ok:

Charlie Zulu
8th Mar 2004, 11:06
Hi Martin,

If you're registered on an approved ATPL Distance Learning or Residential course (you *have* to be doing one or the other) then you will be supplied their own notes.

These normally come in the form of big, thick, A4 size folders with colour pages and lots of text to read through. They'll also have assignments and tests to complete and send back to them for marking.

Assuming you already have these then some suggested reading materials:

Ground School for Pilots volumes 1 to 4

These are written by Underdown and Cockburn and cover Radio Aids, Navigation, Flight Planning and Meteorology.

Also the four yellow books Mike Burton has produced for the technical subjects are great.

If you're on a course other than Oxford then you could always go to Transair and buy the Oxford manuals at around £600 for the lot.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.